Forum home Problem solving

Cats!!!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,261

For me, it's not the "shipping" but the senseless, relentless killing of tens of millions of animals which pains me.

All so folk can have a "pet"

Devon.
  • mattsmatts Posts: 37
    Hostafan1 says:

For me, it's not the "shipping" but the senseless, relentless killing of tens of millions of animals which pains me.

All so folk can have a "pet"

See original post

Maybe cat collars bells, or whatever they are called, can help with this issue ?

That was suggested by someone i know.

I'm not sure how effective they are and how much they may ameliorate this issue; the only suggestion that i have to put on the table.

Last edited: 16 December 2017 11:02:12

• PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,053

Thanks Kitty. I only joined up for the offers lol. I can see the debate could roll on infinitum. I didn’t think of using a spray gun indoors but I might just try that for the scratching.

I didn’t think the litter tray comment was directed at me but I can see how my reply could look like that. I will keep out if cat debates in future ?.

SW Scotland

Cats can be covered in bells from top to tail, it doesn't protect baby birds in nest, nor reptiles and amphibians.

Cats are just heartless killers who kill for the damned fun of it. 

That's the biggest "FU"  for which cat owners abdicate all responsibility.

If I kept a dog and  a cat came into my garden and the dog killed it, could I just shrug and say " it's in their nature" to the cat owner? for that's the response you get from cat owners when their pets kill tens/ hundreds of millions of animals a year.

Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,134

My cat just sits and watches the birds, never caught one, my dog however was quite partial to pigeon. 

The main reason birds are in decline is poor farming practice, although, that will be sorted out when Brexit happens.

My OH when he had his farm was told he had to block up every gap in his barns so that no swallows could get in and nest, and if they did he had to pull the nest out.

so what with that and spraying, weed killers, and not leaving the hedges alone, what can we expect but birds in decline. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

The RSPB estimate that domestic cats kill between 70-80,000,000 garden birds a year. 

Methinks brexit will have no effect on that carnage.

Devon.
  • Hostafan1 says:

The RSPB estimate that domestic cats kill between 70-80,000,000 garden birds a year. 

Methinks brexit will have no effect on that carnage.

See original post

yes they do , But they don't protest to loud about it because the little old ladies that send in thier donations don' want to be told that tidels or tomtom would do such a terible thing ! they would stop sending the dosh! so they and all cat owners burry thier heads in the sand and pretend it does not happen ! meanwhile thier cats go and burry thier shite in a childs sandpit !

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,312

Just as a point of accuracy here, actually the RSPB currently estimate that domestic cats probably catch about 55 million birds each year. They do say that estimates vary wildly from year to year. They also note that species most often caught by cats such as blue tits, are increasing in numbers. And also that the species in sharpest decline, such as skylarks, are not garden species and rarely encounter cats. They speculate that cats are generally catching the weak and sickly birds that die in their millions every year (including nestlings) and are having little impact on the healthy breeding population of most birds. It is possible, they observe, that predation by cats is preventing some species from increasing which otherwise might. But it is clearly not the case that they are the cause of bird population decline, on the whole.

Therefore their lack of loud protest is not due to reticence by the RSPB but the lack of any science to back up the claims of cat haters that they should all be exterminated. Were that to happen, bird populations would still decline because people kill far more birds, directly and indirectly, than cats do.

However they do note that there are some particularly sensitive habitats (they mention heathland) which used to be remote but around which housing is now increasingly encroaching. This may be creating particular risks for some species of birds from both cats and people.

OK, you can go back to your wild assertions now.

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 

raisingirl says:

"Therefore their lack of loud protest is not due to reticence by the RSPB but the lack of any science to back up the claims of cat haters that they should all be exterminated."

I would never suggest they should be " exterminated" but when the current crop die, just don't replace them . Neuter them and let them have a happy life. they just won't leave any more for future generations to deal with.

Devon.
  • There isn't one answer that will please everyone.  Cats give many people a lot of pleasure, they are a great stimulation for the elderly, teach youngsters to care for animals and help to keep the vermin population down. On the other hand some of them do catch birds and that is very sad and pointless.

We tend to give the cat enough food, so he is rarely hungry but certainly not over weight, he is young and very active and will chase anything.  We do feed the birds, never on the ground, just high enough so pussy can't reach the feeders. So far this year he has caught approx. 4 birds and to me that is 4 too many, but we have some consolation in that two were pigeons and none were rare or endangered species.

We do squirt water at pussy from time to time, when he goes into pounce mode, and he seems to be aware that he is doing wrong, but apart from that we love him and we also love the birds.