Cats!!!

Hello, 

I have a cat which has recently started using my garden as its toilet, despite me shouting out of the window at it when I see it! I really want to stop this as I have a three year old who plays in the garden and we have started seeing large piles of excrement on the grass near her slide and toys. Also, the cats favourite place to use is the large border in my front garden, which next year I would like to turn into a veggie patch. So of course I want to break this habit as soon as I can!

I have heard that some things like cayenne pepper or 'cat off' type products have mixed results, so I would like to know if anybody has any child friendly recommendations. 

Many thanks in advance!

Laura

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 1,525

I can think of a couple of options for getting rid of the cat permanently , but best not to post these on this forumimage

Have you thought about one of those ultra-sonic cat deterrents ?

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 1,286

Hi @Lfin100.  This golden question has eluded us on the forum for many years. There doesn't seem to be a simple solution. I recommend making the garden less attractive for cats by not leaving any bare patches of soil (a freshly dug bed = luxury bathroom facility!) and thinking about your boundaries/fences (almost impossible to cat-proof). Common detergents include: large pop bottles full of water, CDs on sticks (?!), cat-off pellets/sprays, citrus peel (poor), and using spikey trimmings (like Holly) on no-go areas (quite good but needs to be maintained). There are others - I am sure you will have more replies. 

Toddlers, dogs and other cats are also good scaring devices! 

Good luck! 

Last edited: 11 December 2017 21:08:02

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 690

It seems from the evidence that the only things that really work are netting / chicken wiring all your beds / ground around the play area. Or the water canon type gadget that you are attach to a hose. Both undoubtedly work but are somewhat dramatic. Lion poo, citrus, lavender, etc are hopeless.

https://thescaredycat.com/contech-scarecrow-review/

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,115

Cats hate being soaked so buy yourself the most powerful water pistol you can find and squirt away! 

• micearguersmicearguers Posts: 59

First time I enter the eternal debate on this conundrum. I have a cat, a garden, and lots of cats in the neighbourhood. At some point I noticed my cat did its business quite often in a secluded bit of the garden where a lot of mini bark mulch had collected. I started collecting and deposing the business and topping up with more bark, reasoning that I had no truck with the cat using that particular spot. So, perhaps a two pronged approach could work: make your garden unattractive to the cat by whatever means you have, but also create one or a few secluded spots that are premium cat toilet real estate. This should steer the cat towards the premium facilities. Another thought: a cat is one of the best means to keep other cats away from your garden. Work with the problem ... outright war is exhausting and could lead to despair.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 14,661

Another £1 for me. image

Devon.
  • ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,892

Water pistol.

Unless of course it's your cat in which case train it to use a special litter tray outside.

• Perhaps one day it will be illegal to allow a cat outdoors unless on a lead!!!!

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 524

How big is your garden? If it is reasonably small then a water scarecrow will work. My daughter, who also has a toddler, had cats leaving poo everywhere so I gave her one of these. It worked withing hours and now the cats walk along her garden wall but never come down into the garden.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 2,143

Hopefully one day somebody will come up with an effective way to deter cats from coming into the garden but until then I support micearguers suggestion of a two pronged approach.  Unfortunately I don't think by 'two pronged' they meant a pitchfork image