Paintings we like

punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,570

Now it is winter and most of us can't get out much, I thought I might start a thread of paintings [ or other art ] that we like.

Obviously very personal,our taste is ours, and should not be labelled good or bad.

I would love to have more of an idea what floats our boat, from an artistic point of view.

I shall start with a couple of my favourites.

Wind, Steam and Speed, Turner.

Self portrait, Lucian Freud.

To you I'm blind
Somethin' inside
Say you don't mind.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,639
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,238

You been on the gin Haze?  image Where's the horse?

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,238

Oh!!!! I squinted and now I see it!!!!! How funny!

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,570

You had me worried there.

I thought horse, what horse, I have never seen a horse there, what have I been missing all these years?

To you I'm blind
    Somethin' inside
    Say you don't mind.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 52,166

Love that Freud too Pdoc, and of course Turner image  also anything by Rembrandt, van Gogh, and Degas ... almost anything by Pissarro and Gauguin. I love the St Ives  artists, including, (in no particular order) Wilhelmina Graham, Patrick Heron, Alfred Wallis, Roger Hilton, Peter Lanyon and of course Sir Terry Frost who is an absolute star ... I once had the privilege of helping to hang an exhibition of his work .   I'm a huge Picasso fan too and have been immensely moved by the Rothko room in the Tate.  I could go on and on and on ............  most of Sonia Delaunay's work delights me and I'm currently interested in the work of the American painter  Dana Schutz who I knew when she attended Norwich School of Art when I was there.

As for a favourite painting ... I don't think I have one .. it changes from week to week ....... but for the past few years a painting that's made my heart sing every time I see it (and I see it often) is Chaim Soutine's La Dame en Bleue which is in the permanent collection at the Sainsbury Centre for the Visual Arts here at the UEA. 

Last edited: 11 December 2017 11:19:24

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,006

Haven't thought about Chaim Soutine in years, Dove - thanks for the reminder. And that is lovely. Must be gorgeous to see the texture of the real thing.

Impossible to pick a favourite painting, and tbh I lean toward drawings, photography and prints a little more. Picasso can do no wrong (though it's the sketchbooks that move me most), but of the 'masters' I tend to have one or two favourites (I live with a Turner and Rembrandt nut so we do find some overlap). Rain, Steam and Speed is my favourite Turner by far, Woman Bathing in a Stream by Rembrandt is delicious (the flesh tones! Her knees!) and most Van Goghs. Love a bit of Gwen John. The stuff that tends to get me much more excited is older and not necessarily so 'painterly': Fra Angelico, Piero della Francesca (have never quite got over seeing the Madonna della Misericordia), Van Eyck, Vermeer (bit of a range there!). And I have a massive soft spot for Chagall,  especially Birthday and the other beautiful romantic paintings. 

Best stop there - I keep thinking of new ones.

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,006

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,639
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,570

You are right.

Just flicking back now and I saw it.

To you I'm blind
    Somethin' inside
    Say you don't mind.