The Snail Lover's Society

• pbffpbff Posts: 432

How fast do you think these speedy snails are moving?

A study a few years ago, led by Dr Dave Hodgson of the University of Exeter, found that snails can move at a speed of about 1 metre an hour, which is faster than had previously been thought.

Researchers attached multicoloured LEDs to snails, so that their movements could be tracked over a day.

They found that the snails were fast enough to travel the length of the average British garden in a single night - no surprises for gardeners there! image

The study also found that snails travel in the 'slipstream' of others, moving along the slime trails of other snails to save making their own.

Slime-making apparently uses up to 30% of a snail's energy, so this usage of other snail's trails would seem to be a sensible idea.

The study was commisioned as a pet-owner resource, regarding the lungworm parasite carried by snails and slugs - the more negative aspect of our gastropod friends.

The article can be found here 

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/news/featurednews/title_315519_en.html

I hope that you, your slugs and snails all have a nice weekend.

pbff

Last edited: 06 January 2018 15:42:00

• When tidying the GH , Ive found that snails can get out of a nice deep bucket in about 5 minutes, so a metre an hour sounds like an underestimate to meimage

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,280

That sounds slow to me, too.  Though I suppose it depends on the size of the snail and its motivation, eg is it stopping to destroy a few seedlings on the way, or can it see a lettuce in the distance.  I've read that their homing range is at least a quarter of a mile, ditto slugs, which is why it's a waste of time chucking them into next door's garden.

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,177

Shhh!! Don't mention the "chucking" thing in this thread! image

• Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 1,044

Won't mention it but have done it in the past in the hope their houses were left intact.

Have collected them in a bucket while gardening before deciding what to do with them and on going back to find the majority had escaped so they are pretty swift and cunning into the bargain. They seem to know when they are in a place they shouldn't be. 

2018 will be different as they will have a snail's marathon to complete to get back "home". 

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,177
    Fran IOM says:

Have collected them in a bucket while gardening before deciding what to do with them and on going back to find the majority had escaped so they are pretty swift and cunning into the bargain. They seem to know when they are in a place they shouldn't be. 

See original post

Yeah, if it has no vegetation, they shouldn't be there he he image

• Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 1,044

Did forget to feed them!  image

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 1,907

As a non-member (disqualified see previous posts) I had stopped following this thread.    However I was having a bit of a clear out at home & found this very old tongue in cheek birthday card  so thought  your  members might like to see it

Now where is that hunting rifle?

sorry image

AB Still learning

• Iain  - nice picture - I'll vote for you to be un disqualified ( ? ) just on thatimage

• pbffpbff Posts: 432

Love the picture Iain, thank you for posting it! image

You are most welcome to join us and become a SLS member, but if the thought does not appeal, then I hope you'll keep following our thread anyway - at least you can have a laugh at our expense! image

Maybe we'll even eventually bring you round to our point of view and you could become the UK's leading Snail and Slug Conservationist? Just an idea...image

All the best

pbff

Last edited: 10 January 2018 08:48:52