The Snail Lover's Society

• That's a good idea PF - one of yours and one of mineimage

As we seem to be the only 2 sad people with time to vote, I'd suggest that's carried unanimouslyimage

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,073

SECONDED.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • As pbff made me 2nd in command and  (shockingly image ) is not about at the moment, that is carried  image

It's a SQUEEZE until March 31st and then a SLITHER and woe betide anyone who gets it wrong.

A darkened room beckons.

Have a nice Xmas Day pansyfaceimage 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,073

AND YOU TOO, PHILIPPA.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • pbffpbff Posts: 432
    philippa smith2 says:

As pbff made me 2nd in command and  (shockingly image ) is not about at the moment, that is carried  image

It's a SQUEEZE until March 31st and then a SLITHER and woe betide anyone who gets it wrong.

A darkened room beckons.

Have a nice Xmas Day pansyfaceimage 

See original post

Hi again all,

Hope you had a lovely Christmas.

Congratulations to Philippa, Pansyface and Josusa for providing the winning entries for the Collective Noun Competition.

Great idea to have 'Squeeze' and 'Slither'. I just hope I don't get them mixed up, or I'll have Philippa and some ferocious fighting snails after me...image

Thank you for rounding up the competition, Philippa. image

I only have Internet in town, when I'm in work, so hence my shocking absence - no I wasn't under the influence, if that was what you were all thinking! image

I had a nice quiet break at home and didn't step out the front door between Christmas Eve and yesterday, which was great!

I found a couple of minuscule slugs in a bowl of alpines that I brought inside out of the wet this week, if anybody's interested...image

philippa smith2 says:

Glitch on forum - can't post properly but check out Donald Trump - Doonbeg - Carrowmore Dunes - narrow mouth Whorl Snail.

See original post

Vertigo angustior, the Narrow Mouthed Whorled Snail, is classified on the IUCN Red List as Near Threatened.

It is tiny - the shell measures approximately 1.6 - 2.0 mm in height and 0.9 - 1.05 mm in width.

The majority of the species' range lies within Europe, with isolated records in North Iran.

In the main part of the range, the species is considered to be meeting the thresholds of 30% of population decline over the last 10 years. These declines are likely to become more severe in the future, as in this part of it's range the species mostly inhabits salt-marsh and coastal dunes, within fringing habitats of a gradient of groundwater levels (often marginal strips of vegetation less than 5m wide), and these habitats lie where sea defence construction will take place (especially in regions concerned about climate change and increased frequency of storm-surges at spring tides), and as such further declines in areas with pristine habitats might be expected.

Evidence from Ireland, where a significant 3 year survey (2008-2010) was undertaken on known extant sites, found 1 of the 21 known sites had been totally destroyed. A further 7 sites had decliend to a situation that the snail may already be lost or is likely to be lost in the near future. Site losses were in inalnd wetland habitats.

The snail is particularly vulnerable in Europe at wetland sites, which are difficult to protect, and in coastal sites which may be subject to increasing inundation. The UK sites are currently in good condition, but the future prospects are considered to be potentially poor as the vast majority of the population is found along sea wall defences and in estuarine habitats that are becoming increasingly vulnerable to inundation. Pressure to increase sea level defences with stronger, steeper walls could destroy the populations depending on the older more vulnerable defence bunds.   

At a broad level, it appears to be present in a very wide range of habitat categories of maritime dune grassland and maritime or inland wetland (including fen, marsh, salt marsh and flood plain), but the micro-habitat within which it is restricted means that the exact conditions which its presence demands are rare, and a lot of habitat that is “almost correct” is devoid of the snail. Where fixed dunes have the correct habitat conditions, the snail may cover a large area of occupancy. Otherwise, it can be found in an often narrow transition zone between saltmarsh and dune, and in transition zones between grassland and wetland with short herbs, mosses and Iris. In Cumbria, it occurs in moss on limestone pavement. It is normally found on permanently moist but free-draining soils, not subject to prolonged inundation. Vertigo angustior is a groundwater-dependant species.

The main threats to the species are:

Modification of site hydrology

Heavy grazing/ lack of grazing

Supplementary feeding of livestock

Scrub encroachment

Eutrophication

Pesticides

Exposure to leisure activities (especially on coastal sites), e.g. caravan parks and marinas

Seawall construction and modification

Managed retreat of coastal marshes

Fragmentation of habitat

Artificial planting on open ground

Motorised vehicular damage to habitats

Rise of temperature and extremes

Sea level rise and flooding

Last edited: 03 January 2018 11:48:56

• Thanks for posting the above pbff - not only a glitch on the forum at that point but I couldn't access further info at the time either.

I hadn't heard of this snail before but the bit I did manage to read struck me as fairly typical - we rarely hear about the small  species and their decline.  Invisible to most of us and not cuddly enough to grab our attention. If snails could dance or wear a silly hat, etc. perhaps a Utube video would gain them some avid followersimage

"Shocking absence...."  Only teasing you as I think you know and pleased that you had such a nice long break.  Your 2 slugs obviously took advantage - sneaky thingsimage

I've found one or two New Year Squeezes so far and a myriad of titchies tucked among the Cymbidium leaves.  

Good news on my Pond snails - they bred quite well last year and I can still see the odd adult lurking around the pond edges.  Unfortunately, so can the Blackbirdsimage

• Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 1,071

I wasn't very kind to snails in 2017 and did feel guilty but having kept up with this Thread I feel I should make an effort this year as soon as they make an appearance. There are so many I just don't know what to do with them. Could put them in a bucket and deposit them somewhere discreetly but obviously not a neighbour's plot. But where?? They had devoured so many of my plants and the lupins were their favourites.

If I hadn't left it so late I would have suggested A slipper(y) of snails for my contribution. I am sure you are all aware the correct term is "Escargatoire" but not a patch on the winners.

How do other posters eliminate snails in a kindly way?

You're right Philippa - this is why so many important creatures are under threat - not all of them look very "cute" and so don't get noticed.

And to many of these big business people and Governments, it's only money that looks cute image

'New Year Squeezes' - I like that!image

My pond snails appear to be doing well too. They live in an ornamental fountain - one of those plastic barrel and pump ones - and I feed them on Tetra Pleco Algae Wafers since there isn't much natural food in there for them.

I know you're teasing, Philippa - if we didn't both have a sense of humour we wouldn't have started the SLS!image

Fran - glad that you've been enjoying our thread.

A slipper of snails sounds a great idea - I expect we'll run another competition later in the year, so you could always enter it then. image

I tend to grow plants less attractive to slugs and snails, after finding that trying to battle against them was a Sisyphean task.

For any 'specialities' that the slugs and snails like, I try and grow them off the floor, either in hanging baskets, pots suspended from brackets, or up on shelves, staging or tables. It doesn't totally stop the damage, but does reduce it considerably.

My Delphiniums for instance, I grow in a huge tall pot with some old copper wire wrapped around.

Any snails that I find near vulnerable plants, I pick up and move into my wildlife patch or into the neighbouring field - of course, they come back again before very long! image