Forum home Wildlife gardening

The Snail Lover's Society

• Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 1,503

Hi Philippa

Thanks for your welcome.

Love your story and as you say it is more entertaining than day time TV. What isn't?

Sounds like a school project my Granddaughter would have to partake in. Nothing at school these days seems easy. When the time comes I shall try it out. Would have to carry them across the road and put them out the back and as it is a terrace it would be a miracle if they found their way back. But who knows...

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,140

@philippa,

Interesting bit of information about Patricia Highsmith. To paraphrase Shakespeare, "Thereby hangs a snail".image

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,353

image Here is a "Necklace" of baby gastropods.  

Can I join please?

Also I would like to mention in support of my application that one of the first occupants of my new pond this year was a snail; a tiny, black thing that grazes on the algae on the pond liner.  Lovely.

Philippa  - Good idea I shall bear that in mind. Loved the story of Patricia Highsmith. Just googled her and will look out for one of her books. Could be a good read.

Excellent retort from Papi Jo. Very quick off the mark.

I would never have known what the necklace was Cloggie. Lovely photo. I am sure you will be welcomed by the other posters in SLS.

• pbffpbff Posts: 433

Hi all,

Fran - your Tippex idea sounds a good one - as Philippa said, perhaps a project for you and your grand-daughter to do together and you can at least pretend that it's all in the name of education! 

Josusa - love your summer fete story. image

Philippa - you seem to have had great fun tracking your snails - maybe an idea for an SLS competition later in the year - 'Longest Distance Covered By A Snail'. image

I don't think I should like to keep snails in such an unusual place as Patricia Highsmith - nor would I like to set fire to my hair to liven up a dinner. I suppose I could try releasing some snails out of a handbag at the dining table though....image

Cloggie - welcome to the SLS! 

Glad to hear that you're gardening for the benefit of snails!image

Can't see your photo at the mo, as for some reason it won't load - hopefully will be able to see it soon though.

🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌
  • pbffpbff Posts: 433

How fast do you think these speedy snails are moving?

A study a few years ago, led by Dr Dave Hodgson of the University of Exeter, found that snails can move at a speed of about 1 metre an hour, which is faster than had previously been thought.

Researchers attached multicoloured LEDs to snails, so that their movements could be tracked over a day.

They found that the snails were fast enough to travel the length of the average British garden in a single night - no surprises for gardeners there! image

The study also found that snails travel in the 'slipstream' of others, moving along the slime trails of other snails to save making their own.

Slime-making apparently uses up to 30% of a snail's energy, so this usage of other snail's trails would seem to be a sensible idea.

The study was commisioned as a pet-owner resource, regarding the lungworm parasite carried by snails and slugs - the more negative aspect of our gastropod friends.

The article can be found here 

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/news/featurednews/title_315519_en.html

I hope that you, your slugs and snails all have a nice weekend.

pbff

Last edited: 06 January 2018 15:42:00

🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌
  • When tidying the GH , Ive found that snails can get out of a nice deep bucket in about 5 minutes, so a metre an hour sounds like an underestimate to meimage

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532

That sounds slow to me, too.  Though I suppose it depends on the size of the snail and its motivation, eg is it stopping to destroy a few seedlings on the way, or can it see a lettuce in the distance.  I've read that their homing range is at least a quarter of a mile, ditto slugs, which is why it's a waste of time chucking them into next door's garden.

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,353

Shhh!! Don't mention the "chucking" thing in this thread! image

Won't mention it but have done it in the past in the hope their houses were left intact.

Have collected them in a bucket while gardening before deciding what to do with them and on going back to find the majority had escaped so they are pretty swift and cunning into the bargain. They seem to know when they are in a place they shouldn't be. 

2018 will be different as they will have a snail's marathon to complete to get back "home".