Forum home Wildlife gardening

The Snail Lover's Society

• Just caught up and seen the update pic of tiny Brian @Lyn - another brown do you think ? 
    The 3 T's now seem to be eating every other day but they weren't keen on the carrots - either raw or lightly steamed.  The green bean leaves are still preferred at the moment but I'm going to offer them a leaf from the Passiflora and a nasturtium leaf and see whether there's any interest.  The radicchio ( which they couldn't get enough of before ) is now met with a heartfelt sigh and " Oh well, if we must ! ).  Dandelion is still a no no. The cucumber is definitely their "go to " item.
    Still no sign of eggs but given your experience, I shall remain vigilant.
    Sorry about the Chutney jar lid - blame E for that, he tightens all lids to the n'th degree and then wonders why I struggle trying to open them  :D  
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,471
    @philippasmith2. The first one had cucumber only,  he didn’t want anything else.
    I picked some fresh inner leaves from a hosta,  you’d have though I was poisoning them, all pushed to the back and left,  outside,  shredded by tiny snails. 
    They quite like sweet gem lettuce at the moment,  but not the plain ones.

Yours were from a 2nd batch so not quite as old as my lot.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

I lifted the coconut shell house this morning,   Baby has made himself at home.

• This mountain climbing lark is a bit much !!! :D
    Definitely going to be a brown Brian @philippasmith2. He’s going to be a very large one I think, he’s got very long horns, he’ll grow into them.

• Looking good Lyn.  I'm guessing that the Brians decide their colour within about 6 weeks of hatching then ?
    The 3 Turds can't seem to make their minds up re their food preferences at the moment.  They are now stuck with SM Cucumber which they like but cannot make their minds up re leaves.  They definitely won't eat any bought lettuce and they don't like the Mazur lettuce which I grow.  They are fond of the Dwarf bean leaves but they won't last long ( I did some in the GH hoping to get a few more leaves for them ) and went off the radichio leaves completely.  Now they've changed their minds and are back to enjoying the radichio. Still won't touch dandelion leaves.
    Wouldn't be without them tho :D
    BTW, did I give you some Jam along with the Chutney when we came for the T's ?  Was it any good or was it very runny ?  Just been doing Damson Jam again but not sure whether it will be similar to previous or better set.
    @philippasmith2 The jam was lovely, all finished,  perfect.   There’s a tiny bit of tomato chutney left.  Roland loves it.  Still got your Kilner Jar.
    I’m only feeding cucumber now,  in thin slices,  they may go into a hibernation  so don’t worry about them.
    Karen wakes hers up in March. 

November 2020. Fitting on the end of a teaspoon.

December 2021.  They have a footplate of 7” now. 

And the new baby,  growing fast.  You can see flaky bits of shell as he’s growing. 

• Tiny Brian is doing well Lyn - quite fascinating watching them grow.

Our 3 T's are eating every other day at the moment - cucumber mostly but the odd radichio leaf as well.  The Green beans I grew last month for the leaves have now given up - surprised they lasted this long actually.  I'm hoping the T's  NY Resolution will be to eat dandelion leaves  :D
    I’ve tried all sorts that they would eat in the wild,  they won’t even touch hosta leaves. 
    Do you hold yours Philippa?  I’m trying to be brave with little one, thought we could grow together.  Not sure about holding the big ones.