Forum home Wildlife gardening

The Snail Lover's Society

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 907
    Hmm - that looks a bit suspicious Lyn   A lecture on Safe Sex seems in order.  :D  I'll keep a close eye on my 3.
    Nice pics tho.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,510
    I would advise that you dump the eggs as soon as you see any,  as you know, Karen made the mistake of feeling sorry for them!   It’s easier than waiting until they hatch.
    There’s a very good video YouTube.  Fascinating. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Yes, if I spot any eggs I'll do that Lyn.  No visible activity on that front so far.   
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,549
    There's some seriously stylish snails in the sedums. B)
    In other snail news my hairy snail colony has really expanded this year. I'm finding them all over the garden now and not just in the small patch of ivy where I found them originally. There's plenty of little tiny babies too. :)

Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
    Nice selection Wild Edges.  I'd say I have seen the 2 top ones in the garden but not sure about the others.
    The Hairies are quite intriguing - are they restricted to certain areas do you know ?
    Two observations with snails,  despite my Hostas being turned into lace curtains by small snails, mine won’t touch Hosta leaves.
    Don't worry about them laying eggs,  apparently they eat them.🐌
    If you want to keep the eggs you have to remove them from the tank. 

Would anyone like some African Land Snail eggs, they’ve laid again! 

If only i could convince myself they're slow release fertiliser 😀 

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,549
    Nice selection Wild Edges.  I'd say I have seen the 2 top ones in the garden but not sure about the others.
    The Hairies are quite intriguing - are they restricted to certain areas do you know ?
    Sorry I missed this. The silky snails are widespread in the UK but they need a damp habitat with dense foliage so they tend to be quite localised. I guess the elevation helps here as we're up in the clouds a lot which keeps things damp and I water the dry stone wall in droughts to keep the plants alive. There's two other species of hairy snail too but the other two don't seem to get recorded in this area.

Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
    I must look out for those @wild edges. We are up in the clouds as well. Never seen a hairy one.