Forum home Wildlife gardening

The Snail Lover's Society

• BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 1,691
    Do you need some suggestions for names @Lyn? How about May, Clough, Blessed and Lifeof to start you off ;)
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 25,698
    Snails were mentioned at the garden club plant swap on Sunday.  Being French, several asked me if I too keep my garden snails for the pot.

Depending on where they are when I find them I feed them to the chooks or lob them across the road into the hedgerow where they can set up home or take their chances trying to cross the road.  

Definitely not pet  or pot material.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 545
    Obelixx said:
    Snails were mentioned at the garden club plant swap on Sunday.  Being French, several asked me if I too keep my garden snails for the pot.

Depending on where they are when I find them I feed them to the chooks or lob them across the road into the hedgerow where they can set up home or take their chances trying to cross the road.  

Definitely not pet  or pot material.
    I was given snails for the pot by my local Nunnery in France - I let them go I'm afraid - 2 acres of woodland tho so it didn't really matter :D
    The GAL snails are indoors so not a problem in the garden and not for eating either - the snails you would eat have to be kept in a certain way - both to make them edible and to rid them of any nasties but I'm guessing you know that ;)
    So far, they are proving easier pets than Dogs or Cats and for me in a somewhat limited situation, they are ideal.
    As I owned a Parrot for over 40 years, I'll admit it would be nice if the snails actually talked but you can't have everything.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 17,954
    They don’t talk, I don’t think they ever will even though I do stand over them and talk to them.
    However, when they’re a bit bigger they do make a noise, you can hear them chomping on their food and scraping their teeth on the cuttlefish. 
    As they are gender neutral we have to have names that will suit either.  I suppose they’re a bit offended by being called Brian. 
    I will but some chickory seeds Philippa,  never grown them before but if that’s what they like then that’s what they shall have. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Lyn - the chicory/radicchio was "Rossa di Treviso" and can be used baby leaf or mature.  The 3 T's obviously like the mature as that was what was left.  Leaves up to a foot long by now.
    Anyway, don't buy any - I've still got a load of seeds which are viable - they took about 4 or 5 days to germinate and I can pop some in the post for you tomorrow.
    Thank you Philippa, shall I tell the Auntie Philippa is sending them some? 😀

:D:D Auntie put them in the post this pm. 
    Thank you Philippa.   I’ll tell them. 

Growing very quickly now, you wouldn’t want them on your lettuce plants!
    for scale, that’s a coffee jar lid. I can hear them munching away, very contented.