Forum home Wildlife gardening

The Snail Lover's Society

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,419
    Another one to add to the list :)  I collected some rain water to soak my tillandsia in on the weekend and when I got the plants out to dry this Amber Snail (Succinea putris) was exploring the leaves.

• I met this muscular fellow during a walk in the woods near Fuschl, Salzkammergut, Austria. I believe the Romans were quite keen on them as a dietary delicacy in years gone by? Me? I'm more of a carnivore cum vegetarian. [shell width about 6cm].
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,137
    How many different ones have you come across now in your garden @wildedges ?
    How many different ones have you come across now in your garden @wildedges ?
    That's the 11th species now and there's one or two others I'm not sure about. I've been meaning to check the pond for snails too as there'll be a few in there by now.

That's good going.  Nothing like the variation here.  As a co-founder of the SLS, I'll vote for you to be elected President  :D
    Actually that should have read - "I have nothing like the variation here" - sorry :)
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,592
    I haven't seen many snails in the garden this year and hardly any slugs.  I do have a hedgehog roaming around the garden now so that's maybe why the slug population is less and a lot of frogs.  A huge frog jumped out of a container I was deadheading this morning and made me really jump he was a beauty.  I do have lots of pond snails though.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,493
    My daughter’s snails have laid eggs, she’s saving a pair for me,  hoping they’re fertilised.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Lyn said:
    My daughter’s snails have laid eggs, she’s saving a pair for me,  hoping they’re fertilised.

How many eggs do they lay? Fingers crossed that they grow.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,493
    Difficult to say how many eggs, hers have laid this lot in one clump. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.