Forum home Wildlife gardening

The Snail Lover's Society

• tuikowhai34tuikowhai34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 581
    I have some great recipes for snails - not just parsley garlic butter but a real finger lickin' dish!!
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,410
    I have some great recipes for snails - not just parsley garlic butter but a real finger lickin' dish!!
    Not quite sure this is the thread for you @tuikowhai34...............no offence meant :D
    And no offence taken.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,281
    I do know someone in the garden club who farms her garden snails for personal consumption.    Not for me.   I can think of better ways to eat garlicky butter.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,461
    Not quite sure this is the thread for you @tuikowhai34...............no offence meant :D

I thought "great recipes for snails" meant tasty arrangements of leaves and flowers for the dear creatures to eat.
    Good morning @Obelixx I agree - about better things for garlicky butter - like a French baguette!  Personally, I don't indulge but I do  have tasty arrangements @josusa47 for them to eat.  They particularly enjoy okra amongst most other things in my garden.  We have down here a conical shaped little snail - and boy are they hungry!!!

It's okay @philippa smith2  - all is fine.  I hope you all have a great day! 

Tui

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,410

It's okay @philippa smith2  - all is fine.  I hope you all have a great day! 

Tui

That'll teach me to jump ( or slither ) to conclusions Tui  ;)
    Welcome to the SL Society :):)  
    @philippa smith2  I can't profess to love snails, either in my garden or on my plate.  I do tend to treat them like @Obelixx and move them our of their territory in a field opposite my home where they will be "at home" especially the tiny ones.  What amazes me here is the variety of snails that there are about - maybe when I have time, I will line up the different species and take a snap.  No, Philippa, you haven't jumped to conclusions, I'm not a fan only because they devour my garden and are an exasperating species like the White Butterfly.  But I can't stamp on them or drown them or any insect really.  Every species has their job to do.  

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,461
    I might be a little obsessed with my tiny hairy snail colony. It seems they're totally nocturnal though and shy away from bright lights which makes photos a bit tricky.

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,461
    I found this snail on my nocturnal bug hunt last night. I thought it was just an average young Garden Snail but I checked and it has an open umbilicus whereas Garden Snails have a completely closed one. So now the Copse Snail (Arianta arbustorum) has become the 10th land snail species I've found in the garden. :)  I've been trying to find out how fast these guys grow. You can see the shell is deformed at the top and before that the growth rings show as that pale band. That might have been from last year's drought or caused by the early hot weather this year I guess.