Forum home Wildlife gardening

The Snail Lover's Society

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,579
    My daughter has just acquired another 2 African Land Snails.  Wonder if I’ll inherit those in a couple of years. Brian used to be hers. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• pbffpbff Posts: 433
    Good to "see" you too @philippa smith2 👋😊
    Few snails about here, but mostly slugs.

@Lyn, how exciting! Maybe your daughter will share a couple of photos of her new snails for the forum? Would be lovely to see them! 🐌🐌
    🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,461
    I'm glad to say my oldest boy's favourite toy right now is his cuddly snail.

Hide and seek

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,283
    It's hard to find people who understand the excitement of finding hairy snails in your garden. 
    I'm excited for you, they are brilliant, have to see if I can get a copy of that field guide.
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,409
    Those are really quite stunning @wild edges - no wonder you are excited - lucky you :)

Hope @pbff looks in !!
    pbff said:
    'Laminated Field Guide to Land Snails' by The Conchological Society of Great Britain and Ireland https://www.conchsoc.org/node/6281
    This looks really good and is only £2. 
    Imogen did say that stock is low at the moment, but more are coming in soon.

Land Snails of the British Isles FSC identification key
    https://www.field-studies-council.org/shop/publications/land-snails-in-the-british-isles-2nd-edition/

Imogen says that this is the best ID key available and is complemented really well by the 'Laminated Field Guide to Land Snails' by The Conchological Society mentioned above.
    This is the combo I went for. The laminated sheet is mostly just pictures with very few notes so you need the key to check things in more detail. I try and take a series of photos for the trickier ones like this trochulus striolatus Strawberry Snail. There's probably 3 or 4 identical looking snails in the laminated guide but habitat helps narrow them down using the key.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,270
    I have been teaching snails to swim or do long distance hiking.   We are finding dozens a day at the mo in among my treasures.  Depending on where they are I take them for a walk to the pond to entertain the frogs or I toss them in the hedgerow across the road and let them take their chances negotiating the ditch on either side and the road between and then the gravelled drive.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,283
    pbff said:
    'Laminated Field Guide to Land Snails' by The Conchological Society of Great Britain and Ireland https://www.conchsoc.org/node/6281
    This looks really good and is only £2. 
    Imogen did say that stock is low at the moment, but more are coming in soon.

Land Snails of the British Isles FSC identification key
    https://www.field-studies-council.org/shop/publications/land-snails-in-the-british-isles-2nd-edition/

Imogen says that this is the best ID key available and is complemented really well by the 'Laminated Field Guide to Land Snails' by The Conchological Society mentioned above.
    This is the combo I went for. The laminated sheet is mostly just pictures with very few notes so you need the key to check things in more detail. I try and take a series of photos for the trickier ones like this trochulus striolatus Strawberry Snail. There's probably 3 or 4 identical looking snails in the laminated guide but habitat helps narrow them down using the key.

Thanks for the links and the explanation the guide is best used in conjunction with the key. I've always been a slug fan, but time to take more notice of snails. There are few common land species I know and the various native pond species, but generally it is just big ones, medium ones and small ones to me when it comes to snails.