The Snail Lover's Society

• B3B3 Posts: 10,234
    You know when you rub garlic in the soles of your feet, you eventually breathe out the smell. What if you stepped on a slug in your kitchen?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,549
    OH and I both agree it's best just to spread toasted baguette or ciabatta with luscious garlicky, herby butter and lob the snails into the ditch across the road to escape as they may or be squished by passing traffic if they try and come back.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • pbffpbff Posts: 432
    Hi @Fran IOM - good to hear from you! I can't believe where the time has got to either!
    I found a couple of small snails in the greenhouse this week - I carefully evicted them to the drystone wall - but other than that it's just been a couple of slugs chewing on the emerging tulips.
    Snail-spotting season will soon be upon us however, especially once we have trays of seedlings on the go!  ;) 

@B3 - hopefully that principle wouldn't work with slugs :scream: . Besides SLS members have to try and step over molluscs, not on them  ;) :joy:

• Please can I become a member of the snail lover’s society? I am a huge fan. It can take me ages to walk the dog on a damp evening moving them out of harms way 😂.
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,356
    Welcome to the SLS - you definitely qualify as a member.  Nice pics too  :) :)
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,346
    As a child I planted a garden of weeds in the bottom of a goldfish bowl and stocked it with garden critters.  I was entranced by watching the ripples in the underside of a snail as it crawled up the glass.
    There was an item on the news this morning which should excite members of the SLS.

Apparently there have been a number of Bermudan Land Snails successfully released into their native habitat courtesy of a breeding programme by Chester Zoo. :) :)
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 919
    A Bermuda snail, photographed in 2007. Not sure if it is the same as the one in the news though, maybe the slightly smaller Poecilozonites circumfirmatus instead.

Not sure exactly Steephill - the Today programme tends not to go into specifics ( well, not re Snails anyway ).  Attractive looking beasts and a well deserved Thumbs Up to all those involved in their repatriation :)  
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,124
    edited 13 June
    Yes, I saw that bit of news.

It seems that their last known, and apparently preferred, habitat was inside old discarded plastic bags in an alley down the side of a cafe.😊

earwig-go:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-48527398

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.