The Snail Lover's Society

• pbffpbff Posts: 427
    Hi Snail Lovers, 

Has anyone else seen the piece about Tree Slugs on Springwatch?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/epq9hn/live/cchp5v

If anyone should happen to go on a tree slug hunt, please make sure to tell us all the details! :)

Here is a good guide to slug identification:
    http://www.wildlifebcn.org/sites/default/files/identifying_british_slugs_v1_2012.pdf

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,698
    I've missed Springwatch so far but there's always too much going on outside at this time of year to sit in front of the TV anyway. As it rained for the first time in a while this afternoon our stripey friends were out in force on my evening walk. I found these 4 having a race.

Love your photo @wild edges
    The banded snails are my favourite.
    I haven't seen much of Springwatch myself yet either - like you say it's too nice to be indoors!
    However, we've had some heavy rain tonight and it went dark quickly, so I had peek on catch-up!
     :) 
    Hi everyone, 

I hope the Snail Lover's Society hasn't entirely disbanded ( ;) ) in my absence.

In case you were wondered where I was:
    1. I haven't been eaten alive by a super-sized snail;
    2. I haven't been imprisoned for protesting for slugs rights;
    3. I haven't forgotten about the Society and the Forum and everyone on it.

No, it's all been a bit less exciting really - there was an accident in the family and it took up most of the time last year, so I never got chance to use the forum or even to garden very much :#
    However, things are back to normality now (whatever that may be!) and I thought I would log onto the Forum and see what was happening. 

Hope everyone is ok!
    Looking forward to catching up.

All the very best

pbff

Was it a snail related accident?
    Was it a snail related accident? 
    It was bicycle related, but we never found out the full cause of the accident, so it could have been snail related. 
    "It was the snail... it just stepped out into the road..." 
    Could work   :smiley:
    islander said:
     yukk
    There's no place for that attitude in the SLS :o
  • Nice to see you back pbff and hope you have fully recovered from your accident - snail related or not :D
    I've moved house recently so no doubt I will have a new bunch of Shelled people to get to know.  The garden has been neglected for the past 30 years or so - any snails who have managed to struggle thru that lot deserve a medal !
    islander said:
    The cottage I rented before I came out here had a plague of both slugs and snails. There is nothing quite like creeping half asleep into the kitchen early on to make a cup of coffee and putting your   hand on  a slimey slug on the kettle handle... And how the snails got under the door.. They were everywhere.. yukk
    Oh dear! That would be a bit much!  😱
    Imagine the fun you could have with guests though
    "How many slugs ... I mean sugars! ... do you take with your tea?"  ;) 

Nice to see you back pbff and hope you have fully recovered from your accident - snail related or not :D
    I've moved house recently so no doubt I will have a new bunch of Shelled people to get to know.  The garden has been neglected for the past 30 years or so - any snails who have managed to struggle thru that lot deserve a medal !
    Hi Philippa, nice to see you too  :)
    I was wondering how my co-conspirator of the SLS was   ;)
    Fortunately it wasn't me who had the accident, it was my Mum's partner - I just did part of the caring with my Mum, but between that and work and studying, there wasn't really any time left for anything else.
       Exciting news about your new garden; lots of work, but you can sometimes find lovely hidden plants in amongst the tangle of a neglected garden - ours was a real mess when we first arrived, with so much rubbish buried in it it was more like a landfill, but the hellebores that had survived in amongst it all and the old gnarled apple tree and walnut tree are real treasures. Oh and a fabulous rose that like a twig when we found it, but now covers a fence in a massive sprawl of pink blooms in the summer.
    Hope your new bunch of shelled people turn out to be well behaved  ;)

• Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 1,081
    Welcome back @pbff. Was only thinking about this thread recently. Can't believe where the time has gone since I last posted here. Didn't think it would get disbanded. So pleased things are back to normal for you now. I am sure you have been missed. The weather hasn't allowed much time on the allotment yet this year. So far I have not seen one snail. No doubt they are hiding somewhere and will reveal their whereabouts in time.  :)