Forum home Wildlife gardening

The Snail Lover's Society

• pbffpbff Posts: 433
    @wild edges - what an amazing cake! I'm sure the recipient must have been delighted with it! 

Your photos of the snails are lovely too.
    I am also quite fond of the little snails, although I'm not very knowledgeable about identifying them at present. 
    Hopefully this will soon be remedied - like @philippa smith2 I haven't yet found a good snail guide on the internet, so this morning I contacted Imogen Cavadino, a mollusc expert and research assistant/PhD student at RHS Wisley, who recommended the following:

'Laminated Field Guide to Land Snails' by The Conchological Society of Great Britain and Ireland https://www.conchsoc.org/node/6281
    This looks really good and is only £2. 
    Imogen did say that stock is low at the moment, but more are coming in soon.

'A Field Guide to the Land Snails of Britain and North-West Europe'
    Out of print, but a search on AbeBooks or eBay shows some relatively inexpensive, second-hand copies for sale.

Land Snails of the British Isles FSC identification key
    https://www.field-studies-council.org/shop/publications/land-snails-in-the-british-isles-2nd-edition/

Imogen says that this is the best ID key available and is complemented really well by the 'Laminated Field Guide to Land Snails' by The Conchological Society mentioned above. 

She also recommends the free basic ID key on The Conchological Society's website, which is to be found here: https://www.conchsoc.org/aids_to_id/idbase.php

@[email protected], yes I remember Brian, it's nice that he will be taking pride of place in your home again - very appropriate for a SLS member :lol: 

Finally, sorry for not making an appearance on here for months,  I've been 'snailed under' with things at work this year.
    I will be glad to get back to the snails and the forum, which are far more exciting :smiley: 

pbff

🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,623
    I found this motley crew while cleaning up a pot of saxifrages. Looking forward to getting my snail ID book for xmas and working out what they all are.

We had a trip to the local RSPB reserve today, actually technically yesterday now, and I picked up a nice snail badge to go with this festive robin badge. New official SLS badge maybe?

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    We had a trip to the local RSPB reserve today, actually technically yesterday now, and I picked up a nice snail badge to go with this festive robin badge. New official SLS badge maybe?

Defo.  I'll get one next time I'm there.
    Great. Now we just need to perfect the secret handshake. :)
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,046
    Great. Now we just need to perfect the secret handshake. :)

How 'bout this?
    :D
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    Hi fellow SLS members, 
    Here I am, late to the party as usual! 😂
    Great snail photos and I love the idea of adopting the RSPB snail badge as our badge. I must try and get one. 
    I agree that Bob's secret handshake could be a bit...squishy...
    A slight hand touch it will have to be!
    Hope everyone's all okay? 🐌🐌🐌

🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,825
    My daughter has just acquired another 2 African Land Snails.  Wonder if I’ll inherit those in a couple of years. Brian used to be hers. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Good to "see" you too @philippa smith2 👋😊
    Few snails about here, but mostly slugs.

@Lyn, how exciting! Maybe your daughter will share a couple of photos of her new snails for the forum? Would be lovely to see them! 🐌🐌
    🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌
    I'm glad to say my oldest boy's favourite toy right now is his cuddly snail.