The Snail Lover's Society

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,874
    Hello snail lovers. I'm not sure whether I'll be granted full membership but I thought I would chance my arm as they say. 
    I have lots of 🐌 in my pond and they are very welcome. I'm not so keen on them in my delphinium patch. After moving a large pot last week I discovered a large slither of snails (about 20) I couldn't bring myself to harm them so they have been living in my green bin. However I forgot that collections started this week. ☹️Does this heinous crime mean that I'm banned from becoming a member. 
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • OMG! This thread has given me a giggle......thank you all!😂😂
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • Difficult to say really Yviestevie but as you have the correct collective name for the summer, and, to be fair, if you simply forgot about the Green Bin collection, I'd say your heart is in the right place and you should count yourself as a member  :D
    Many thanks 🙏 
  • pbffpbff Posts: 427
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to all of our new SLS members.

Your banded snails are very pretty @Borderline; lovely photos!

@Buttercupdays - I was amazed to read about the snail ballet - I hadn't heard about that at all. If London wasn't so far away I'd be very tempted...
    The video's worth a watch  :D

@plant pauper , I love the snail door-knocker. Is it yours, or one that you've seen? I wouldn't mind one of those on my door. It would certainly keep the postman amused, at least!!

@Lyn - great to see a photo of Brian. He really was a handsome beast.

@philippa smith2 - glad to hear that your pond snails are increasing in number. Ours seem to be doing ok too at the mo.

@wild edges - I couldn't agree with you more Dave. I can't imagine what a garden would be like without snails and slugs, even it is only to moan at!! 
    Beautiful photos; I love the one of the tiny snail!

@Liriodendron - "shellism", I like that! :)

@Fire - it's the banded snails that are usually the culprits in my greenhouse, but they're so adorable that I let them off!

@Yviestevie - I think that you qualify as a member - I guess you could say that since the crime was committed without malice aforethought, you're only guilty of 'mollusc-slaughter' and not murder!!  :D
    And as Philippa has said, at least you've got the collective noun right!

@Cazgo - glad that you're liking the thread!

I found this interesting piece of news about a kidnapped snail today:
    https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/355425/couple-left-shell-shocked-after-accidentally-kidnapping-endangered-snail

• I'd love to join. I love snails so much I've even written my own song about them! https://youtu.be/dqU-vrZeKCs

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,633
    Does teaching them how to fly , and giving them beer to drink count?
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
    Love that song.  Mmmm Fidget not sure that your efforts as a an air hostess will get you in the club.
  • Thanks Yviestevie. Definitely no salted peanuts for the in-flight snacks Fidget!
  • pbffpbff Posts: 427
    Hi @nathan 444 - welcome to the Forum and to the Snail Lover's Society.
    I love the song and video.
    I think we ought to use it as our Society anthem!
    Do you do all the Tiny Tunes things yourself?

@fidgetbones
    Maybe you could start a temperance movement for snails and slugs instead? :D