The Snail Lover's Society

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,041

Nice snails. 

I hope you've recovered now pbff.

I wonder if there are more snails in my pond than those I've seen, maybe a delve when the weather warms up image

• pbffpbff Posts: 432

I am much better now, thank you nutcutlet.

It's amazing what can be found in ponds and pools - they may look murky, but they're a whole new world! image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,041

Indeed, we have pond dipped and looked through the microscope, fascinating.

• Nice to see you again pbff - sorry you've been ill.  Indeed, no poking about in cold ponds for a while yetimage

Interesting post as usual - another site to read thru later - many thanks for the links.

I'm hoping my Pond snails will increase again this year - signs are good at the mo. ( despite telling you not to pond dip in this weather, I'm afraid I can rarely resist no matter whatimage)

The Heron has come calling a few times in the past 3 weeks - I'm told their visits tend to coincide with the elvers in this area.

The Blackbirds can be a bit of a pain too - they aren't above hoiking out the newts as they rest in the pond margins. 

As for the deeper stuff - nothing quite like a net of bottom sludge to get you going.

• pbffpbff Posts: 432
    edited March 2018
    Hello everyone, 

It's been quite a while since I last posted anything on the Snail Lover's Society - you probably thought I'd gone into hibernation!
    It's been a busy couple of months and the poor old snails have had to take a temporary back seat!

😳

Interesting to see the all-new style of the forum.

Hope all SLS members are keeping well.

I found this picture of some unusual little snail ornaments, which I thought you might like to see:

A SQUEEZE OF SNAIL ORNAMENTS.

Remember that after the 31st March, the collective noun for snails will be changing from 'squeeze' to 'slither', as decided by @philippa smith2 and @pansyface in last year's collective noun competition.

Catch up with you all soon!

pbff

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,212
    Since I have no dealings with snails at all, thanks to gardening on a balcony I find myself spending time photographing unusual snails on my walks. Clearly too much time on my hands. These taken last week after a night of rainfall. 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,110
    Very pretty, Borderline.

We currently have very few banded snails in our garden. Probably because we have at least three song thrushes in residence. Not sure whether they are male or female but they are all very squabblesome at breakfast time.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236
    How've I missed this whole thread?
    Due to thrushes I have few snails on land but my pond is hoochin' with pointy ones and other sorts (sorry for being so technical).
    I posted this some time ago but had no takers. Perhaps my audience was ill chosen.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,279
    pbff said:

Lyn - beautiful snail - hope you post some photos of your own snail sometime.

Found the Photo of Brian, unfortunately died now, but his life wasn’t in vain his shell is now down by the pond as an ornament, there’s a few tadpoles sheltering in there. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.