A helping hand

jad1jad1 Posts: 126

My plants which flowered last year in pots are not showing any    Signs of life Yet. Has anyone any advice please.?.l Live at north Cornwall which is mild and no frosts.

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 1,431

When you say 'no signs of life' , are you referring to lack of foliage or absence of developing flower buds ?

Have they had ample water throughout the summer ? Where you live is not really an issue with Hellebores as they are completely hardy and oblivious to anything the UK climate can throw at them .

• PosyPosy Posts: 982

Hellebores should always be in leaf. If yours have no leaves they are unlikely to recover. If you mean no flower buds, some varieties flower in the depth of winter but some wait until February.

• Hi Jad1

Its very difficult to kill of Hellebores and I disagree that that they should always be in leaf It does depend on what variety you have. The leaves tend to suffer from autumn and into winter through decay and disease and in some cases can just drop or rot off so its a good idea to remove these as they can spread fungal infections. 

Although many are evergreen some are also semi-herbaceous so depending on the weather, they can retreat into the soil and will come up again in spring. .

The leaves regenerate from the crown of the plant which is under the soil but it you just lightly poke around you should see flower buds forming as they are a winter / early spring flowering plant. I have some that are already flowering and that are mainly evergreen and I have a lot that are still quite dormant so are semi herbaceous.

You can remove the leaves at this time of the year since you want to see the actual flowers when they come up. Just don't cut too far down as you may cut of the basal shoots from which the flowers come from.

• LynLyn Posts: 8,106

If they are in pots you could take them out and check for vine weevil, they love them. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.