Slate sculpture

where is the best place to buy slate for indoor sculpture ie table lamp? Also what glue and any tips please?!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,633

If you have a drive around snowdonia, there are piles of it by the roadside. Most of it is classed as waste from roof slates. Some is being upcycled.

Alternately...

http://www.welshslate.com/

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,746

Places down here in Devon, depends where you live, bit for a table lamp would be classed as an off cut, 

what do you need glue for?

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,949

Gorilla glue will do the trick - just be careful as it expands a LOT and you only need a little. I am about to trial some slightly cheaper waterproof glue but you'll not need that if it's inside. If you only need a dozen or so slates you could chat up your local roofing man...............

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller

I was assuming if Susan wants to make a table lamp that she wants a chunk of slate,  to carve herself,  how would you make one from roofing  slates?  

we are only used to buying slate by the pallet load,  so obviously I’m on the wrong track here. 

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,949

I assumed she was going to use roofing slates piled on top of each other. We may both be wrong! If so, old roofing slate may do, hence the local roofer. But she could get new slate from him as well - they always have a stockpile. 

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller

You can buy new slate breadboards or chopping boards from places like Asda. They are about 2cms deep I think. I can’t imagine a pile of those for a sculpture. 

I hope the OP comes back and is a bit more specific. I’m intrigued now.