Forum home Fruit & veg

Just ordered 3 Blueberries - need to re-pot?

Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,110

I've just ordered 3 blueberries from Trehane Nurseries. I've not grown blueberries before.

Patriot - Herbert and Ozark Blue.

2 are in 3 litre pots, Patriot is in a 2 litre pot.
Delivery is sometime in the next couple of weeks.
Should I re-pot on delivery, or would it be better to wait until signs of growth appear in spring?

I was planning on putting them into 22L pots with ericaceous compost - does that sound about right?

Thanks
Pete

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,110

Thanks scroggin. I've read good reviews of Trehane on this forum, so will be looking forward to a blueberry-filled summer next year :)
    Thanks for your advice

• LoanaLoana Posts: 427

Excellent Pete, i have two blueberry bushes, both started in pots and are now in the garden. One is about 11 years old and it is wonderful picking fresh blueberries for breakfast. Some years there is more than i can eat daily, so i freeze them, they freeze well, bonus ?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,110

Thanks Loana - I've planted raspberries, pear cordons and a blackberry as well.
    A friend mentioned he'd harvested 7Kg from 2 bushes this year - I'd assumed I'd get about 200g per bush, so havn't bothered in the past
    So lots of crumbles next year :) and summer pudding!!!

• LoanaLoana Posts: 427

They do need a lot of water ;) sounds a nice mixture of fruit, can't beat growing your own. I bought a mini nectarine tree year before last, never really thought it would do anything. It is only about 3' high including the pot and it gave us six lovely nectarines, well chuffed ;)