Forum home Fruit & veg

Decreasing leaves

Im new at onion planting and Its been weeks after planting my onion sets and the greens have been growing well until I've noticed that the leaves we're decreasing.However,the bulbs are starting to get bigger.But some onions still continue to grow leaves but they're not doing very well with their bulbsWhy does this happen?Any answer will be appreciated! :)

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,159

Where are you?   If you're in the UK or Europe and have planted onions to over winter then it is normal for growth to slow down as the weather cools.  The onions should be hardy enough to withstand a normal winter and will then grow away again ins spring and be big enough to harvest by June.  

If you are elsewhere and have planted in spring then it is normal for some variation in growth and size as they are individual plants and not clones of each other.   Make sure you keep the soil between them weeded and don't let them get dry as they need moisture to swell the bulbs.   They may appreciate a feed as the bulbs swell.   They also need to be ripened before harvesting - bend the foliage down to let maximum sun on the bulbs and encourage nutrients to be concentrated in bulb fattening.   Lift the bulbs with a fork so they come away with some root on.   This helps them store better.

Have a look here for more info from the RHS - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own/vegetables/onions

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,443

Ergoth has told us previously that he/she is in the tropics ..........

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/fruit-and-veg/my-onion-bulb-sets-are-not-growing/1008289.html 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Why post again then?  The climate and answers won't change.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • In a different pot I used a NPKS fertilizer.There was good leaf growth but no bulb formation.I dont really want to solve the problem I just want to know why it happened :)

Sorry, but this is a UK based forum with an untropical climate.  I suggest you check with local veggie growers if the variety you planted is suited to your local conditions and also check cultivation advice for your conditions.  

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,443

This may help you find the answers you're looking for

https://www.harvesttotable.com/bulb-onion-growing-day-length-and-temperature/ 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh