Gardening Knee Pads

Hi Everyone, 

2months a go I had a small operation on my right knee that's been bothering me for the past few years and when I kneel in my allotment it still feels slightly odd and I don't want to damage it further. Does anyone recommend or know of any good gardening knee pads which will help with this?

Hope you had a nice day

Thanks 

Keith

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

I've been using DeWalt knee pads for years, on my second pair now.  They are very good, if I remember correctly they were about 13 quid in B&Q.

• Hi Keith, me and my husband have been using these Norda ones we got from amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077987QTR which have been great so far, a few of the others have more of a flat surface which I had before but with these being slightly rounded it feels much more comfortable whilst on the softer ground such as mud, grass, pebbles etc. They are also very easy to clean which is good especially as it's getting muckier now. 

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,331

I also use the padded cover from  an old sofa  and if its wet it goes into a strong plastic bag. 

I have tried knee pads but they never stayed in place  I only have little legs . I think the ones you see in shops are made for large men. 

The ones I have tried usually have two straps above and below the knee protector , but when you bend your knee the  strap seems to slip down behind your kneecap, and makes the back of you knee uncomfortable.

Last edited: 27 November 2017 22:21:36

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,278

I've had major surgery on both knees and have tried all kinds of knee pads and kneelers.  The one I have found most comfortable is one like this.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kneeling-Ideal-Gardening-Scrubbing-Household/dp/B003R7MZQ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511822196&sr=8-1&keywords=garden+kneeler+pad

It's less convenient than the strap on type but, as I said, it's the best I've found for long term kneeling.  I have 2 so can shuffle across from one to the other without having to get up again.

• Thank you all for the kind responses. I quite like the look of the knee pads Anne linked and also the mat so will give both a try as they aren't too expensive.