Overwintering your obelisk

I was concerned about the cold getting to it so wrapped it in a blanket of fairy lights. The bauble grafts seem to have taken hold and i'm hopeful they'll survive until early January.

I made this yesterday for under £20. I'm delighted with it so thought i would share as i reckon there must be loads of us with baldy looking obelisks hanging around at this time of year

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 48,512

"...tea and toasted buttered currant buns, can't compensate for lack of sun because the summer's all gone..."   Autumn Almanac - Ray Davies
  • Muddle-UpMuddle-Up Posts: 11,686

That is absolute genius!  Love it!  Wish I had outside power-source! 

Aberdeenshire, NE Scotland 🌞
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 21,747

Great idea oooft!

MU - you can get lights that are battery operated from those 'cheapo' shops. I've just bought a new set as mine got slightly waterlogged last year. They're quite good though - and not too dear. I put mine along the back fence image

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• oooftoooft Posts: 84
    Muddle-Up says:

That is absolute genius!  Love it!  Wish I had outside power-source! 

See original post

I have an outdoor supply but it kept tripping last night, think it may be damp. Gonna get the hairdryer out today and see if that solves it. These lights come on a fine wire so i plugged them in indoors and was able to shut the door with the wire in place. You'd be able to put them out a window and close it. These lights were from poundstretcher and cost 15 quid. Baubles cost 4 quid from asda

Fairygirl says:

Great idea oooft!

MU - you can get lights that are battery operated from those 'cheapo' shops. I've just bought a new set as mine got slightly waterlogged last year. They're quite good though - and not too dear. I put mine along the back fence image

image See original post

That looks fab. I absolutely love fairy lights

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 13,270

Good idea and may well have a go ourselves.

Last year we discovered our outside walls have nowhere to attach strings of lights and, being stone covered with render, are not readily drillable so, having only recently moved in, we bought one of those laser dooberries.   Bit naff tho so I think we may well adopt this obelisk idea and put one either side of the front door.   

Now to check if we have suitable strings of outdoor lights - our old house needed very long strings - and wind and waterproof baubles.  I can feel a little retail therapy coming on.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Obelixx says:

Good idea and may well have a go ourselves.

Last year we discovered our outside walls have nowhere to attach strings of lights and, being stone covered with render, are not readily drillable so, having only recently moved in, we bought one of those laser dooberries.   Bit naff tho so I think we may well adopt this obelisk idea and put one either side of the front door.   

Now to check if we have suitable strings of outdoor lights - our old house needed very long strings - and wind and waterproof baubles.  I can feel a little retail therapy coming on.

See original post

Yay! Get the pictures posted when you're done!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 21,747

I used to have strings of outdoor ones that I plugged in indoors too, oooft. Think they eventually conked out, as I certainly don't have them now. They were very good.

The battery ones are quite good though. They just need to have the battery 'box' kept in a watertight case. I use a plastic food one, but it fell down last year when it was a bit wild and by the time I got to it, the rain had knackered it. 

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 2,647

Looks great image

Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time
    Sir Terry Pratchett

Awww Riley. That is absolutely amazing. Fabulous! I love it. Summer evenings in your garden must be wonderful