Wolf-Garten hoe - chipped chrome

Hi all,

I got a swoe-style Wolf-Garten hoe a couple of months back. It's an attachment for the multi-change tools.

The chrome on the front edge of the hoe has already been chipped away by fairly light use (it's made of chrome-plated zinc).  Our soil contains some gravel, but fairly fine-grained (<10mm).

I'm slightly worried that the exposed zinc will rust/corrode, and this will lead to the chrome bubbling.  Is the chipped chrome normal for Wolf-Garten tools?

Many thanks in advance.

JT

• ColinAColinA Posts: 222

Hello 

I would contact the manufactures direct at that age and with so little use

ColinA

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

I always remember problems with chrome plating on old cars. Would chrome plating ever stand up to doing the sort of work you need to do with a garden hoe?

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• Thanks both.  I will contact the manufacturer to see what they say.

Have to admit, after my initial experience, I'm not sure why people rave so much about the Wolf Garten multi-change range of tools.  The tool attachments rattle in the handle when in use.  There's no way of sharpening them due to the chrome plating.  I'm not sure what the use of zinc is all about, as all other tools are made of steel.

I initially invested in the multi-change tools to avoid lugging around a load of tools on a gardening round (I don't currently have a van).  Oh well, maybe there's no alternative to having separate tools image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

I have to confess this is last years and the tree is artificial

Fo the first time in five years my two little grandsons are old enough now to know to treat it with respect .

Last edited: 03 December 2017 14:58:57

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'