• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,943

I don’t spend dollars on plants, this is a uk site.

i object to ‘what is your age ‘ being the first question, why does that make a difference,

what is automated? 

Dont students go out with clipboard and pen and get their own research these days?

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,999

I'm not doing any more of these surveys. I've had enough.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,622
    Lyn says:

i object to ‘what is your age ‘ being the first question, why does that make a difference,

See original post

Yeh - as if we're going to tell the truth about that one Lyn  image

and I agree - what is the point of that? Are we supposed to be better off if we're young, or better off if we're old? Completely irrelevant.

I've only ever done one survey nut. I can't see how they help anyone if they're from a uni or college in a different country either.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,850

I thought the first rule of good research was to target the questions at a statistically significant and/or representative group of you target audience.  The second is to have relevant questions.

Age is not relevant to seed sowing or greenhouses.  Dollars are not relevant to this UK based site.

Besides which, if I counted up all I spend on the garden it would frighten OH and maybe me too.

Not doing it.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,490

An automated system that pricks out plants, puts them out to harden off, in to protect from frosts, waters when necessary. ? Isn't that what gardening is all about? Or you could just get a jobbing gardener to buy some and stick them in. (or a 14 year old neighbour as I used to be)

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,607

Or we could just go and buy our plants from the nursery image

I'm 27 .............. and that's what I've told him image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,943
    Dovefromabove says:

I'm 27 .............. and that's what I've told him image

See original post

You as well! Wow, what a coincidence.

why has the OP posted this entry twice?

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,436

If they want to discuss automated systems they'd be better off talking to wholesale growers not private individuals.  I would hate to think how much a system to automate sowing, pricking out etc would cost.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,999

if I didn't enjoy doing all those things I'd stop doing them. One doesn't have to garden, there's always astroturf and decking

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,850

The big plant producers in the Netherlands and Belgium do have automated sowing, cutting, pricking out, potting on, misting, watering and feeding systems.  That's why they manage to produce plants so cheaply - relatively speaking - and also why they have a limited range of bog standard plants to send to garden centres, DIY stores, markets etc.

Garden and plant lovers enjoy the process of hand sowing, pricking out, taking divisions and cuttings and growing on and swapping spares.   We're the wrong audience for this survey.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw