New Acer for Small garden

I am going to buy one of the above and was hoping for some does and donts from friends if you have tried to grow one before

I want it to be about 8 foot tall and its the vibrant red colour that has drawn me to this tree

Help please

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 1,429

I have this exact variety in my back-garden !

Has proven to be very tolerant of full-sunshine (which is quite unusual) providing the soil is moist . Even now (12-years on) , my wife sprays it regularly (with waterimage) on warm days .

Fortunately I have a neutral to slightly acidic soil which suits these trees eminently . I always (as a young tree) used only rainwater , but during dry spells it responded well to pretty hard tapwater (pH 8.9) !!

I prune mine lightly every 2nd year just to keep it in a tidy state , and it doesn't seem to mind at all .

All in all an excellent and well recommended choice of Acer ; purplish red leaves throughout the growing season then turn a fiery red in the Autumn .

Enjoy .

PS  I don't think they like clay soils .

PPS  Never let it become dry , not even for a couple of days ; leaf curl and drop will result .

Doghouse Riley

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 1,219

Many Acer fans on here. Ideally they need the environment of their native Japanese woodland - so semi-shade, sheltered, well-drained and well-watered. My red Acer does fine in a south-facing aspect, although it is not usually advised. 

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 782

Thanks friends

What preparation did you do before planting.

? Manure..compost....seaweed

? Do I need to stake it

? Anything else

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 782

I laid some horse manure on top of the soil where I am going to plant the acer BEFORE I decided to plant it

? Should i scrape the manure off or leave it to be taken down by the worms

? If I leave it does it matter when i plant after its all disappeared

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 1,299

If you have laid fresh manure, then wait for around 2 months for it to rot down. Totally up to you whether you want to work it all in, or leave along the top layer. If it's rotted stuff, then mix it all into the soil and maybe leave some for the top layer too, but it really doesn't matter.