Is it suitable to crush slugs while gardening?

Hello everyone,

like many other gardeners, i am having huge problems with the slug population in my garden, they are having a feast on my plants which i planted with great effort. 

Of course i wanted to get rid of them, but i did not want to stroll arount my garden with a knife the whole time or lay out chemical "weapons" against them. Because of this, i invested in a pair of wellies so that i could easily crush them while i am working in the garden. 

My question is: Does this really help to decrease the slug population? And are there other members here who also use this method? image

Greetings.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 18,058

a quick snip with the secateurs is what I do with slugs. Or crush snails underfoot.

Devon.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 12,404

SLUGS ARE MOBILE COMPOST HEAPS. WITHOUT SLUGS THE GARDEN WOULD BE PILED HIGH WITH DEAD PLANTS.

LOTS OF THINGS EAT SLUGS AND IF YOU KILL OFF THE SLUGS YOU DEPRIVE OTHER THINGS OF THEIR DINNER. SOME SLUGS EVEN EAT OTHER SLUGS.

RATHER THAN GO SQUASHING THE BEJEESUS OUT OF SOMETHING TRY TO ENCOURAGE SOMETHING ELSE TO PUT IT TO GOOD USE IN THE FORM OF FOOD.

ENCOURAGE HEDGEHOGS AND BIRDS INTO THE GARDEN. 

OR PUT COPPER TAPE, THAT IS DESIGNED TO REPEL SLUGS, ROUND ESPECIALLY TREASURED PLANTS. IF YOU HAVE AN OPEN FIRE, SPRINKLE WOOD ASH ON THE SOIL AROUND THE PLANTS. IT WILL HELP TO FERTILISE THEM AS WELL AS BEING DISTASTEFUL TO SLUGS.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,138

What Pansyface says and more

everytime you upset the balance of organisms in your garden by killing part of it you make way for another 'pest' to move in.

I haven't killed anything for years (except mozzies in the bedroom) and if I have a 'pest' problem it hasn't come to my notice

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 1,486

I suggest you order "The little book of slugs" from the Centre for Alternative Technology.  It's only about £2, and describes numerous eco-friendly ways of combating the slimy little @#£;&+%!s.  It's also rather entertaining.

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,312

My Father was an old time gardener, his motto was everything has a use, sowing or planting he would say, one row for the birds and beasties two rows for us. Of course that was when the garden was to feed the family not some glossy extra room, we also let the chickens out and they did little damage though the wee beasties vanished. What is more important, a totally pristine plant, one with a few raggy leaves and balanced garden or the demise of something nature intended as part of the mystery of life, why are we here? A thin ring of slaked lime would do the trick.

Frank.

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 949

I have hedgehogs,frogs and toads and still have loads of slugs.

I am sure that the few you do get rid of by squishing,slicing,drowning or even poisoning will make much of a dent in the population as a whole.

Even if you use nematodes you have to use every 6 weeks as it is just a control.

Apparently every cubic metre of garden will on average contain up to 200 slugs so I think whatever you do they will be safe from extinction!!!

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Totally agree Madpenguin 

it will not effect the overall Eco system to kill a few of these slimy monsters. We all have views on if it will effect the food chain but are we forgetting that slugs and snails breed at a high rate. They become the gardeners main adversary from Spring, when new growth appears untill the beginning of November. I slice them up and place them on the bird tables where they are enjoyed by a multitude of wild birds. I'm sure those birds would thank me, if they could talk, for an easy meal 

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 1,772

Everyone making good points and arguments - this is one of the most common topics on the forum.

I don't make any efforts to cull mine in the garden - it is their garden really - not mine! As for those precious plants and new growth - some clever individualised attention is required to protect the plants. A solution which causes no harm, is easy and effective is the Holy Grail, but an arsenal of pots, copper tape, rough mulch and hand-picking (probably at dusk so a torch and rubber gloves required!) can assist those vulnerable plants. 

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 12,404

I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE LOGIC OF KILLING "A FEW" SLUGS.

KILLING A FEW ISIS INSURGENTS, FOR EXAMPLE, IS HARDLY A LOGICAL APPROACH TO PREVENTING TERRORISM. UNLESS YOU HOPE TO DEMORALISE THE REMAINING FIGHTERS BY LETTING THEM SEE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE TO THEIR COMRADES.

IN THE CASE OF SLUGS, DEMORALISING THE REMAINING ONES WOULD BE A HARD THING TO ACHIEVE.

ALSO, NATURE ABHORS A VACUUM, AS THE OLD SAW GOES. KILL A FEW SLUGS AND A FEW MORE WILL MOVE INTO THE GAP LEFT FOR THEM.

THE ONLY ANSWER IS TO PHYSICALLY BAR THEM FROM REACHING YOUR PLANTS AND SIMULTANEOUSLY UP THE ANTE BY RECRUITING FIGHTERS WHO ARE ALLIES IN YOUR CAUSE.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.