Forum home Fruit & veg

Kale scale

Hello,

Getting great kale from the allotment but some leaves have these soft white scale patches on them. 

There aren't any small white flies around after a month or more and no caterpillars in site. 

Can't find anything that looks the same on the internet. 

Hopefully a good photo/s attached. 

Anyone know what it is?

Thanks,

Don

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,107

I've had something that sounds similar on my kale.
    The kale is under netting so no leaf damage as such, but on the underside of some lower leaves there are small patches (5mm) of white 'something'. I did notice some tiny white hopping bugs here and there.
    No idea what it is, but it rinses off under cold water.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,604

Don, can't see the picture maybe it didn't upload. Whitefly or grey aphids would be the obvious guess but if no visible flies after a month then perhaps not. My brassicas were plagued with whitefly this year but a soap spray a couple of days before the first frost seems to have finally sorted them out for now.

AB Still learning

• DonPDonP Posts: 3

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8Gp7SpwsFMkbYK3u2

Thanks for  replies.
    No luck attaching the photos but there's the link to them now.

Regards,

Don

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,107

Don't know what it is Don, but pleased to say it's not the same as what is on mine

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • DonPDonP Posts: 3

It's not hard or particularly soft and not on all leaves. 

It takes a lot to clean it off so I cut those parts of the leaf off. 

These photos are from the worst of them. Most have nothing 

Might need to get a decent magnifying glass to get a good look. 

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,604

I have seen something like this before on brassicas  before its not an insect its either some kind of Physiological disorder or fungal/ viral. By zooming right in on your pictures you can see a couple of patches of darker almost black one surrounding a hole in the leaf. The white patches may go a bit corky. I don't know if there is much you can do about it now on the formed leaves. It could be a slight mineral deficiency in the soil hard to tell. If growing them again a base dressing of Rockdust or Remin will supply all the minerals needed & seems to help cabbage etc form good solid hearts, an alternative would be to use a fertiliser like Vitax Q4 which has added minerals as well as all the main nutrients.

AB Still learning