Forum home Plants

Dividing Geums

Is it a little late now to divide Geums (21st Nov) or should I wait until MArch next year?

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

You could divide now, they are very hardy. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Thanks Lyn, just been out in the garden and divided them, they were getting a little out of control. Thank you!

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,481
    I have "bumped" this thread, as l was looking at a rather large geum clump this afternoon.  Can I divide it at this time of year, and how small can l make each section ? Many thanks for any advice  :)
  • I am not sure if this would be helpful to you AnniD.  Instead of digging up and dividing our clumps of geums, I have removed all the old stems - anything that was from last year or older has been removed during this week and I have just kept the new fresh green growths that have appeared during the past few weeks. I have fed and watered each plant once I have removed the old stems.
    Hello GuernseyDonkey, I have tided up most of my other geums. It's just that this one has become so big, it is starting to take over! I was wondering whether to try dividing it now, or maybe I could dig it up & put in a pot for the time being ? 
  • Paul-24Paul-24 Posts: 4
    edited March 2018

Taking the advice on here, I divided three huge plants. It felt a bit strange put a sharp spade through them, but I now have 7 'new' plants with new growth. Two of which flowered throughout the winter! I am really no expert, but I would divide them as I understand doing so will reinvigorate the plant.

Thanks Paul, l think l will go for it but maybe wait until after this next cold snap we are supposed to get.  :)
  • Paul-24Paul-24 Posts: 4
    Yes, that may be a very wise move! Hope all goes well...
    Thanks ! Fingers crossed.... :)