Forum home The potting shed

Music. Tunes that mean lots to YOU.

2»

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    8000wildflowers says:

That’s Amore reminds me of my dad as it was his funeral exit song and he liked to sing along to the pizza pie bit. O and Nana Mouskouri which was mums choice for the entry song, a bit like wailing cats on Prozac so the latter is not a favourite. 

My mum loves Nat King Cole, Mike. He is timeless. Comes out every Christmas at mums. 

I’m rather partial to Jamie Cullen for relaxing - his All at Sea (where no one can bother me) is my favourite to play if I get on the plane to relax after working away to head home.

And lately George Ezra (check out Don’t Matter Now). 

See original post

A fisherman friend of mine likes to sing:

When an eel hits your eye

Like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,955

Pauline 7

Your 'ex' sounds like a right big-headed b*****d !!image

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,465

With the news today of the death of David Cassidy, the song "Could it be forever?" takes me back to being 14 again. Every time I've heard it over the years it takes me right back to that time. My husband reckons I only married him because he had eyes like David's. I couldn't possibly comment! 

• JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,690

Metallica - Harvester of Sorrows

ACDC - Gone Shooting

Pantera - Cowboys From Hell

Rolling Stones - Sympathy For The Devil

You know, happy songs :)

• SussexsunSussexsun Posts: 1,444
    AnniD says:

With the news today of the death of David Cassidy, the song "Could it be forever?" takes me back to being 14 again. Every time I've heard it over the years it takes me right back to that time. My husband reckons I only married him because he had eyes like David's. I couldn't possibly comment! 

See original postc
    the first record I ever bought was David Cassidy‘s Daydreamer. I remember going to buy it in a small record shop at Tolworth Broadway. I must have payed it non stop for months whilst I stared at the David Cassidy poster I has taped to the back of my bedroom wall.

To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Music, what is it? why does it please us so? how come we are so diverse in our likes or dislikes? Questions I ask each time I see a question such as this. Music as anyone who studied music knows is eight notes moved about a lot run up and down the odd octave with the aid of sharps and flats. Many people say they hate, cannot stand, think it nothing but noise, when it comes to Classical music yet much of the dross we get on the Radio is stolen from classical themes I could quote some very up to date music thus used, Elvis Presley, Little Mix, Beyonce they all did it or do it, you are inadvertently listening to classical and enjoying it or not depending on what you think of modern music. (rubbish in my case).

This came to mind when for the first time in months I decided to do some piano practice, my favourite is Fantaisie Impromtu by Chopin and found myself after a very slow start singing, "I am always chasing rainbows"? what has my brain died I asked, no it was alive and kicking. It made me think so I looked it up, there are pages of songs that were plagiarised from classical music and it has been so for decades even before Elvis. Nothing new under the sun comes to mind and the trend to one note songs from todays so called singers leaves me icy cold. Bring back Richard Tauber, Gigly, Joseph Locke, Bing, better stop I am getting carried away or some may think should be.

Frank.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SussexsunSussexsun Posts: 1,444

Love Eva Cassidy’s singing Autumn Leaves

To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Mike, you wish you could play piano, it has its down points. Had you played Lily Marlene, Lambeth Walk, Underneath the Arches, In the Mood American patrol and Among my souvenirs as many times as I had to then you might think twice. I forgot to mention Pyotr llyich Tchaikovsky's Piano concerto number one in B flat minor, it was all the rage back then although only the introduction which is actually played in D flat Major?

I played on battered old piano's in the Naafi then in the Mess and at the shows the troops put on themselves in the Garrison Theatres. My fingers are now up to my elbows, I have slept under some weird and wonderful piano stools after clearing the top of the piano of free pints, a louche life some may say but hard work for the pianist, who had to play everything in key of C as most people have no idea what key they sing in. That includes the ENSA singers who I had to drive around in the Middle east for ten days, the worst time of my life.

There were of course interludes of joy, Listening to Dame myra Hess in a works canteen one lunch time when not a sound was heard bar the wonderful piano music. Being told "you are a piano banger go and sit with the pianist who is giving tonights concert" I had a wonderful day listening to him practice, turning the music or moving it along, he was very surprised i could read, he gave a wonderful concert and me a pound note, big money back then.

Since my Wife passed away six years ago the piano has hardly been touched, something made me want to play the other day and rusty as it sounded it eased the aches and pains and made me think about the themes being half inched by others so looked it up, quite a surprise to find very modern people still stealing what is in essence very good music. Life without music would be no life at all, we all have our likes or dislikes and long may it be so, just enjoy I say.

Frank.