Forum home Fruit & veg

Brussel sprouts

Hi folks, 

Having to do a final close of my garden and while I planted the brussel sprouts ages ago, they are still grape size. Was wondering if these are ok to eat or do I just toss them. 

Grew them in a planter on the back porch and think they just did not get the amount of sun needed to flourish.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,443

Can you not leave them growing?... They'll carry on through the winter. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,446

YOU MEAN THOSE VERY EXPENSIVE "JUNIOR" SPROUTS? image

LIKE THESE

http://notlazy-rustic.blogspot.co.uk/2009/10/roasted-baby-brussels-sprouts-with.html

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,443

Hi andi ... I've received your message where you tell me that you "live in northern indiana, and get much lake effect winter weather, would they survive in the winter in the planter? Ground is already frozen so transplanting is not an option."

This is a UK based forum and most of us live in the UK and Northwest Europe .. here in Great Britain Brussels  sprouts seem to enjoy the worst the British winter can throw at them and crops are rarely lost, even when they stand covered in snow for quite a while.

However, I'm not familiar with the weather in northern Indiana, other than the fact that you can have long hard winters.

Perhaps this may be of help 

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/brussels-sprouts/brussels-sprouts-winter.htm 

If you decide that they're not going to cope with your winter weather I would certainly harvest them and cook and enjoy them ... if they're tiny why not try them in a stirfry? 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh