Forum home Plants

Mystery plant

2»

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687

Tropaeolum Tuberosum? 

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,700

A hint to help you: "tender tuberous perennial with heart-shaped, lobed, almost black leaves, quite decorative".

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • AsarumAsarum East AngliaPosts: 595

Sweet potato

Last edited: 27 November 2017 22:51:09

East Anglia

@Asaruum, bingo!

Those were the tubers from my Ipomea batatas 'Blacky'. It was strange to find those so different looking tubers from my 2 specimens!

See http://www.finegardening.com/sweet-potato-vine-ipomoea-batatas-%E2%80%98blackie%E2%80%99

• AsarumAsarum East AngliaPosts: 595

Those plants look interesting Papi.  I've just been looking up how to grow them, I think I might try them next year.  It will have to be in a container though.  I presume I shall have to provide some support.  Do you have any tips?

East Anglia

They are cultivated as annuals. They have become quite fashionable where I live and you find them in garden centres either with yellowish green foliage or dark-red almost black foliage. Bought them some time in April or May, planted in a fairly high planter and did not give them any support so they grew out of the planter all the way down to my terrace floor. In the planter they were associated with New Guinea Impatiens (pink flowers), the planter was mostly in the shade, and they made a lovely sight until recently. Unfortunately forgot to take pics.image