Forum home The potting shed

Horticultural Grit

2»

• I can only find harling chip at over £100  bag . Any idea where I can find it at the price you  think it  migh be? thanks.

• Hi 

Just remember that you should not use builders sharp sand as this will not be the same as Hort. sharp sand that is treated and washed for gardening use only 

• Thank you, I did think that and thats a problem for anything bought from builders merchants.  I have found some 10mm gravel/ shingle from travis Perkins , but not sure exactly what it’s made from. Horticultural grit doesn’t seem to come in bulk quantities.

i wonder where Monty Dom gets his from , because he seems to use loads!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I use Wickes' sharp sand, no problems so far. Ditto Pea Shingle etc. It's just stones, dug out of the ground in areas like mine. gravel is the main crop round here. 

Soft (Builders) sand isn't much good for anything horticultural, especially drainage

• Thank you. Do you know what the weight is for the jumbo bags, it doesn’t say.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I think they're in cubic meters rather than weight, weight varies with water content

• Thanks

• The debate to use builders sharp sand instead of Hort. sharp sand has been raised on a lot of garden forums. The effect to the soil structure is possisbly the same except that builders will possisbly have trace elements that could effect the growth of plants where Hort. Sand is effectively washed of any dangerous plant elements. Personally, I would not gamble with introducing any negative substance to the humus of the soil 

• I agree . I wouldnt want to gamble with adding anything that may be damaging to the soil, especially as this is a pretty big area and will involve a fair amount of effort.