Forum home The potting shed

Horticultural Grit

I need to buy a large amount ( bulk bag 1000kg ish) to improve a new clay soil bed. Garden centres  only sell small amounts. Where can I get this from? Do builders merchants sell this ? If so what do they call it?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,532

I've not bought any in bulk, but putting 'horticultural grit bulk UK' into Google brings up several suppliers, including this one which has a good reputation https://www.compostdirect.com/horticultural-grit/p22 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you I will try that

• SussexsunSussexsun Posts: 1,444

That is a really expensive way to improve the clay. Have you thought of using 10 mm pea shingle? You can get a tonne bag for around £40 in wickes.

when we built our new raised beds and driveway earlier this year. I reused all the clay soil from removing the grass area mixed With the old pea shingle from the old drive. Seemed to work fine as I had a lovely display of dahlia in them this summer.

To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

I would use sharp sand. I have made a well drained bed on my heavy clay doing this. It’s much better than pea beach. It actually opens up the clay and can be bought in big bags from builders merchants.

• I've heard people using harling chip, which is the right size and shape and around £30-40 a tonne. 

• Sussexsun says:

That is a really expensive way to improve the clay. Have you thought of using 10 mm pea shingle? You can get a tonne bag for around £40 in wickes.

when we built our new raised beds and driveway earlier this year. I reused all the clay soil from removing the grass area mixed With the old pea shingle from the old drive. Seemed to work fine as I had a lovely display of dahlia in them this summer.

imageSee original post

• Thanks for the suggestion, I think pea shingle might  be too smooth. This is for a herb bed,  8x8 metres so I will need a lot . I do have garden compost and leaf mould to add as well. 

• Your raised bed looks fantastic 

• Redwing says:

I would use sharp sand. I have made a well drained bed on my heavy clay doing this. It’s much better than pea beach. It actually opens up the clay and can be bought in big bags from builders merchants.

See original post

Thank you, I might add this.

• glasgowdan says:

I've heard people using harling chip, which is the right size and shape and around £30-40 a tonne. 

See original post

Than you, I will investigate .