Forum home Plants

Yew hedge too slow!!

2»

• From spring onwards, once they start growing,  water them a lot too.  But dont do little and often as then the roots will stay at a shallow depth.  Give them a good soak.  Especially in summer. 

• peterboardman64peterboardman64 SheffieldPosts: 3
    edited May 2019
    How is your yew hedge coming along? I planted a new Taxus Baccata Yew hedge myself in October 2015 and am also impatient with height growth. I have had the hedge trimmed a few times but just recently have only trimmed the sides, not the top. I see in this thread Fish blood and Bone feed is recommended which I will try, also regular watering as my plot is well drained. I have had two plants die which I think was due to water logging. Fortunately I had a few spares planted elsewhere. See photos Oct 2015 and May 2019.

edited May 2019
    May 2019

• Thanks peterboardman64 for sharing your work.
    I think your Yew row looks absolutely awesome... you've done a great job!!
    I've getting better health from mine as attached since clearing the surrounding grass, and laid chicken manure to nourish, however seems to be making little progress really on growth.
    I laid in new, taller Yew's which after 6 months have died as (see the brown ones).
    Im thinking the planting earth is getting too dry, or I've over done it with bonemeal and chicken manure :(

I wish I had your hedge! Where did you source your plants from Peter?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,107
    Bone dry I'm afraid. You can't let newly planted anything dry out  :/
    They should really have had a better border with some well rotted manure to get a good start. Overfeeding can be an issue, but what they've really needed is moisture. Too much other stuff near them competing for it.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,566
    You needed to double the width of that cleared strip for them and, as @Fairygirl says, lots of water during heatwaves and growing periods and mulch to retain the moisture.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thanks guys! I will give it a go.
    What I really need is for peterboardman64 to come round and work his magic...  :D
  • Don't trim the top of yew plants until they have reached the desired height. In ideal conditions they can grow up to 18" (45cm) a year, but after you clip the tops they will only grow 2" (5 cm) a year in height.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,868
    Don't trim the top of yew plants until they have reached the desired height. In ideal conditions they can grow up to 18" (45cm) a year, but after you clip the tops they will only grow 2" (5 cm) a year in height.
    This thread started in 2017, might be a bit late