Yew hedge too slow!!

Hi guys,

Planted 30x Yew (Taxus baccata) some 2 years ago of a height approx 40 cm and they have grown hardly at all. I hoped to form a hedge, but this is just not happening... :(

How can I promote optimum growth?

Cheers, Declan

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,472

Hi Declan ... Fantastic choice image  They're getting their roots established ... they have to do that before the top growth can get going.

Can we have a photo of the hedge please and tell us about the conditions and  what you do to care for it ? Then we'll have some idea of what you can do to encourage it. 

Last edited: 20 November 2017 06:57:24

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• you can feed hedges during their growing period (March till September) to give them a bit of a boost, also mulch over winter as it reduces competition from weeds and keep the root warm.

• Thanks tree hugger. I’m told mulch attracts cats/pee so a little hesit to use that... pictures attached.

Dark after work now unfortunately :(imageimage

Oh dear ... Your poor little yew trees are being swamped by all that weedy grass ... It's competing for all the moisture and nutrition. I'm afraid it's a case of getting on your hands and knees and weeding out all the grass and weeds - a small hand fork will help to loosen the roots. 

Then mulch with some soil conditioner (in bags from garden centre) and in late Feb/early March feed with Fish, Blood & Bone - a slow acting organic fertiliser).  That should help if get going ... But keep the area around them clear of weeds and grass ... It needs to be  clear soil at least 18" either side of the hedge. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Kate 7Kate 7 Posts: 72

Can hardly see them with all those weeds. Desperately need clearing and mulching. I would not feed them but they might appreciate an organic mulch.  Marking each with a cane will protect them from being walked over etc, or put up a temporary fence.

• Thanks Dove & Kate!

Really appreciate your feedback and I now have a clear plan of action :)

Now

Remove grass and weeds -> clear soil at least 18" either side of the hedge.

Fork to help to loosen the roots and channel nutrients/water

Mulch with some soil conditioner (in bags from garden centre)

Feb / early March

Feed with Fish, Blood & Bone - a slow acting organic fertiliser). 

Here are some day time pictures I managed to get this morning.

imageimageimage

I will follow up with after pics ;)

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,353

Good advice.  Once you've taken up all the competing plants you'll have bare soil, even with the mulch and that's an open invitation to weed seeds.  You may want to consider covering it all with a  2 or 3" thick layer of chipped bark to help suppress weeds.   It'll look better too.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Garden prodder says:

Thanks Dove & Kate!

Really appreciate your feedback and I now have a clear plan of action :)

Now

Remove grass and weeds -> clear soil at least 18" either side of the hedge.

Fork to help to loosen the roots and channel nutrients/water

Mulch with some soil conditioner (in bags from garden centre)

Feb / early March

Feed with Fish, Blood & Bone - a slow acting organic fertiliser). 

Here are some day time pictures I managed to get this morning.

I'm just wondering if Dove was referring to the loosening of the roots of the weeds for assisting their removal rather than loosening the roots of your Yew?

Last edited: 21 November 2017 17:45:07

• Not sure what happened there but was trying to say:

GP I'm just wondering if Dove was referring to the loosening of the roots of the weeds for assisting their removal rather than loosening the roots of your Yew hedging? 

Dave Humby says:

Not sure what happened there but was trying to say:

GP I'm just wondering if Dove was referring to the loosening of the roots of the weeds for assisting their removal rather than loosening the roots of your Yew hedging? 

See original post

Yes! Yes! Yes!  You've got it Dave!

Don't loosen the yews' roots ... just the grass and weeds!  image