Forum home Fruit & veg

Pumpkin wont grow

I recently sowed 2 crown pumpkin seeds and only 1 of them sprouted, so i decided to grow another one straight after which did sprout. I decided to plant the seedlings in the ground, but now there's a problem. The oldest 1 of the 2 has hardly grown anything since the starter pot stage and has slightly yellowed but did make a few leaves. While the younger one is growing vigorously with large green leaves. Does anyone know why and how i can fix it?

image-Pic of younger pumpkin

image-Pic of older pumpkin

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,130

Well, if you are in the UK I imagine it is the cold. Pumpkins are normally sewn in Spring and are not frost hardy.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,520

RIGHT, THREE SEEDS HAVE BEEN PLANTED, TWO IN POTS, ONE IN THE SOIL.

NUMBER ONE SEED, IN A POT, FAILED TO GERMINATE.

NUMBER TWO SEED, ALSO IN A POT, GERMINATED BUT IS NOW DYING.

NUMBER THREE SEED, SOWN IN THE SOIL, IS THRIVING.

THE SHERLOCK HOLMES IN ME SUGGESTS THAT THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE COMPOST IN THE POTS.

EDIT. YES, I TAKE IT THAT YOU ARE NOT IN UK WHERE IT IS CURRENTLY 1°C.image

Last edited: 19 November 2017 07:42:43

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,708

Assuming you are in southern hemisphere.

Pumpkins need a lot of feed and water, (and heat). The best stuff is well rotted farm yard manure. At this point it should have no smell. Or you could use plenty of home made compost and some fertiliser.  If you have used farm yard manure, you need to make sure it has not been contaminated with a particular type of weedkiller(aminopyralid)  which tends to be residual.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3