Ride-on Mower grass collection problem

With a two acre garden I use a Yardman 1 metre ride-on mower.  Usually, each autumn, it acts like a giant vacuum cleaner and sucks up vast quantities of dry leaves.  However, this autumn it is only sucking up 50/60% of the dry leaves and leaving a trail of uncollected leaves on the grass. 

The curious thing is that if I put the mower in reverse and travel over a similar spread of leaves on the grass, it collects every single leaf and leaves the grass looking as clean as  a billiard table!

As I have no wish to cut this large area in reverse, I'm hoping someone can offer me an explanation for this peculiar mower behaviour.

The blades were new this year and the plastic discharge tube which carries the grass/leaves to the collection bag is also new. These two items alone should have ensured that leaf collection went perfectly.  Any Ideas?

• LoanaLoana Posts: 427

Hi Rogereye, have you changed the height settings at all? Our ride on gets temperamental (not really) if the height of the brushes and basket are adjusted, they have to be just right or it will leave a trail too. Check nothing caught around your brushes, the box is sitting correctly. Or are there just too many leaves for a once over pick up? I've had that before where there are so many leaves the mower gets most but not all and i have to go over a second time? ?

• Thanks Loana.  I've tried several different heights with the same result and the leaf distribution isn't really heavy  -  grass can be seen around each leaf and they are dry not wet leaves.  What I'd really like to know is whyit cuts and collects perfectly in reverse but not in the recommended direction?

• ColinAColinA Posts: 212

I take it the collector is a plastic mesh if so are the small holes in it clear?? if not the air cannot get out and will reuslt in collection being poor

If the mesh is clogged pressure wash it, 

Is the collector a powered brush system and if so is the belt fitted correctly. It could be spinning in the wrong direction

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,265

I'd contact the dealer from whom you bought the blades and ask their advice . They should be aware of the experience of other customers with a similar machine.

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,054

Could it be something as simple as something having been fitted the wrong way around image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,726

Using a Husqvarna R316T mulching mower recently , I experienced similar problems ; turned out the drive belt to the blades had stretched badly and was on the verge of snapping ;  power loss was very evident .

Replacing this solved the problem immediately . I don't know Yardman mowers , but this may be worth investigating .