Forum home Fruit & veg

Chilli question

Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 419

Hi, we have a chilli pepper pot black, a lovely looking plant, but most of the chillies are deformed, looking like they have a collar of petals, and only one has grown to a harvestable size.

It was originally in the greenhouse and we brought it in as the weather cooled. It sat on a warm sunny windowsill and now sits on the dining table in the same sunny room, just away from the cold of the window.

It has been fed and watered so I'm just wondering if Scotland is too cool for it.

Is the stunted growth likely to be due to the conditions or could it be a problem with the plant itself?

Could we use seeds from any of the small chillies to try again next year?

Thoughts gratefully received! 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,156

As they are uniform in shape and size I suspect you have a wrongly labelled plant .   The plant looks healthy enough so I suggest you try some tomato feed to encourage more fruit and flowers but first taste one of your chillies to see if it's worth keeping.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 419
    Obelixx says:

As they are uniform in shape and size I suspect you have a wrongly labelled plant .   The plant looks healthy enough so I suggest you try some tomato feed to encourage more fruit and flowers but first taste one of your chillies to see if it's worth keeping.

See original post

It's hard to show on the pic but the chillies are mostly only about 1cm in all directions, though a couple are about 3cm. If it is what it says on the label, the full size should only be about 4cm. They were black when first growing, and have been going red (as per the label) over the last few weeks. Will stick with the feeding regime and see how we get on. Just found OH has been using ordinary liquid plant food, not tomato feed, so maybe that's it. image