Forum home Plants

New garden

Advice needed....i have just moved onto a new house and taking stock of my new garden. Lived in a 4th story flat for 13 years so I'm all new to this.

Can any one identify this plant and tell me if I can train it to look more bushy? What will happen if I cut it back  above the soil and start again?

Thanks in advanced.image

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,530

It's surprisingly difficult to Identify plants upside down, it's not your fault, this often happens.  I think that bushy thing is a tamarisk, ivy behind it, and a couple of oak seedlings in front.

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

If it is the green sticky thing at the front - it looks like an oak seedling. If so, pull it out! I thought at first the feathery stuff was old cosmos but now I'm not so sure! 

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Thanks! Oak baby gone.  I will check out cosmos and see if it matches. 

• It looks to have woody stem

Therefore cannot be cosmos

It is a shrub..Tamarix fits.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tamarix&rlz=1C1GNAM_en-GBGB687GB687&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiKgYe238DXAhXjDsAKHWW-AAAQ_AUICigB&biw=1536&bih=759

Oak sapling in the middle...best remove asap.

Lots of ground cover ivy as well.

Last edited: 15 November 2017 14:05:37

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • Thanks all, tamarix wins I think. 

• Papi JoPapi Jo Posts: 4,216

Pic right side up

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,019

If this is a very new garden I advise you to wait for the first year to see what comes up, what you like what you don't and what needs help/taking out/encouragement.   In the mean time, keep it weeded and the grass cut regularly in its growing season.

You do, however, need to deal with obvious problems immediately so tree seedlings like the oak and any sycamores need pulling before they get out of hand.   The other thing I would do now is mulch that bed with as much garden compost or manure as you can get hold of.  If there is no compost heap there already, go to the GC and buy the cheapest multi-purpose compost you can find and any bags of well-rotted manure they may have and layer it on    Worms and other soil organisms will work it in for you over winter and any bulbs or perennials lurking below the surface will appreciate it.   Do this after a good rainfall so you don't lock in dryness.

I would be tempted to cut back some of that ivy on the ground before it creeps all over the bed and then just keep the lawn swept of leaves.  Next spring, after the worst f the frosts are over, take stock of what is starting to come thru, trim back any obvious dead or broken stems on shrubs and trees and give everything a good feed of pelleted chicken manure.

Use the winter to work out which way your garden faces, how much shade and sun it gets, what soil you have, how cold it gets, what features you want - eating area, kids' play, pond, pergola - and do a few rough sketches to work out how and where to place them.  Think also about a budget and how much time you have each week to spend on the garden and then you can make good decisions about how you go on.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thank you so much do all the advice everyone, I realy apreciate your time, I'm new to gardening and forums and just thought I would just ask and see what came out. I know I'm going to enjoy gardening and this web site is ace.  Take care all.