Hoe, hoe, hoe?

I want to treat myself to a new hoe to actually try to keep the weeds away. Can I have some opinions on type of hoe and which brands people favour?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,452

I like the wilkinson sword swoe.  Any hoe will work but it has to be sharp.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • Pete8Pete8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 3,054

I treated myself to a WS swoe in spring  - same as fb. I really like it

• scrogginscroggin Posts: 2,139

I use the same one as Hosta. I like the quality of the tools and the ability to quickly change heads is great.

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 1,060

I have several but my favourite is my fathers old pull push hoe it was made by Wilkinson Sword, blade looks like a delta wing. There are similar ones out there but none as good. As Fidgetbones says a hoe must be sharp stainless steel can be difficult to sharpen as it is so hard.

AB Still learning
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 11,015

I too use the Wolf system and have two of those double edged heads at 4" and 6" widths.  The wide one is good in the veggie plot between rows and the small one for closer plantings in borders and so on.  We also have rakes, cultivator heads, a pruning saw, lawn edger and so on with different length handles for different jobs.

The Vendée, France
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 896

Since I've built raised beds, I'm making much more use of my hand hoe, also called a scrapper.  I don't know the make, but I bought it long ago, from the Organic Garden Catalogue, or it might have been from the Centre for Alternative Technology.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 2,900

Depends what you want it for. In a veg bed with nice straight lines either a dutch hoe or the newer styles. In my perennial beds I get down and use a three pronged hand hoe (Wolf).

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 208

The only hoe I would struggle without is my oscillating hoe. If you like the swoe, you'll think you've died and gone to heaven with an oscillating hoe.

I keep a swoe for scratching out between slabs and the corners where car parks meet kerbs. But for soil, oscillating every time.

http://www.blackberrylane.co.uk/toolshop1.html

• Neil75Neil75 Posts: 12
    glasgowdan says:

The only hoe I would struggle without is my oscillating hoe. If you like the swoe, you'll think you've died and gone to heaven with an oscillating hoe.

I keep a swoe for scratching out between slabs and the corners where car parks meet kerbs. But for soil, oscillating every time.

http://www.blackberrylane.co.uk/toolshop1.html

See original post

Wow!  Many thanks for sharing the link!  Lots of amazing looking tools on that page.  Many invented by the great elliot coleman :-)   As others are,  I'm a big fan of the Wolf garden push-pull Hoe.  Have you tried this,  and if so how does it compare against the oscillating Hoe?  I've heard others say how good the  oscillating Hoe is,  but I've not heard a comparison of the two from anyone. 

Kind regards