Birds - Territorial ??

Are Birds such as the Tit family, Finches, Robins and Sparrows territorial.

As I have a feeder at the rear of my house in a tree and the nieghbour has one in her front tree.

But it seems the Sparrows go to the front with the Robins and the Tits go to mine with Finches and Robins also Woodpecker etc.

Also although I use 'Peckish Wild Bird' feed, alot is wasted. As it seems none of the birds like the barley size seeds unless I leave them for the Wood Pigeons. I have a large planter saucer suspended by hanging basket chains to collect the waste rather than go on the lawn, which is where the pigeons get their share.

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,611

Don't know about the others, but robins are fiercely territorial   - have you noticed that you rarely see more than one at a time?  They stay close to where they were born, and attack other robins who are rash enough to trespass.

As to your choice of food, it sometimes takes a bit of trial and error to find products that suit both your birds and your pocket.  In my experience, there sometimes seems no rhyme or reason.  I've bought food and feeders that are studiously ignored, about which on-line reviewers say their birds flock to it.

• I don't think different species of birds are usually territorial with each other (unless it's something dangerous like a magpie or a sparrowhawk). They do all like different kinds of food though. I have sparrows, finches, tits, robins and other birds visiting regularly but they go do different feeders and/or the bird table.

I think robin territories are quite small. I seem to have 3 in different parts of my garden.

• Hi.

Robin’s are territorial but in larger gardens you can have lots with their own territories in each bit.

Wood pigeons are useful for eating the corn and waste of the cheaper food seeds that no one else wants, if it bothers you buy the no waste feed but it’s far more expensive, I’m happy to let the pigeons clear it up and if we’re lucky we get pheasants in the winter too under the feeders as we‘re near woods here.

The sparrows and tits tend to show up in gangs - they like hanging out in their groups. I notice that the sparrows seem to like feeders near hedges and being able to flit between the neighbours hedges to get around so where you put the feeders can make a difference on who visits. Blue tits seem to like them in a small tree so they can hop about in it and eat the bugs, so our feeders in the cherry tree are busier with blue tits.

Sounds like you have lots of birds! Have you added a bird bath? A large dish on the ground a stone in it as a perch will be welcomed.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,473

All birds have their territory but some like to live in social groups.   We have cats and dogs so our birds are currently fed by peanut, fat ball and insect block feeders hung from a metal obelisk, planted away from pouncing cover with loose seed underneath for ground eaters and it attracts sparrows, blue and great tits, chaffinches and a few other brown jobs plus the occasional turtle dove and magpie.

Robins do, in fact, migrate for winter and are fiercely territorial with other robins but not other birds as far as I have observed.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 818

Don't buy seed containing corn as it is usually left so wasted, most of the birds in our garden feed on sunflower hearts, no waste at all, and we get most of the different birds, finches, tits, blackbirds, robins (sometimes two), collared doves, carrion crow, wood pigeon, sparrows, dunnock's, they all feed on sunflower hearts, from feeders and on paving at ground level.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,739

I agree about robins , and I've a little pied wagtail who spends lots of time chasing away other birds.

Devon.
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 818

A pied wagtail in yesterday, they like the dip in the house flat roof, in the present weather always water there.

• 8000wildflowers says:

Sounds like you have lots of birds! Have you added a bird bath? A large dish on the ground a stone in it as a perch will be welcomed.

See original post

Yes we have a few different birds but it depends on the weather to which we have. And yes we have dish or two, but its seen that the cats like them too having a drink.

• Yes my bowls/baths unexpectedly supply the cats too, even the ones off the floor!