Forum home Plants

Please help to identify two plants

Dear fellow gardeners,

Can you please have a look at these two plants and let me know what they are and what they are called.

The first one grew as a one-leaf-only plant in the shady part of the garden. At least it only had a chance to grow one leave as I accidentally pulled it together with an unwanted neighbour-plant.

The other one - also grew by him self out of nowhere at the sunniest spot in the whole garden. First I thought it was a cosmos as the stem and the flower buds looked just like a cosmos but now the first flower has opened to display a weird green spider-like centre. I am not an experience gardener, but I know that this is not cosmos. But what is it?

Thank you everybody!

Last edited: 14 November 2017 11:55:02

Surrey

• the leaf is an arum, Italian arum I think, the flower looks like a nigella

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,415

Arum italicum and Nigella damascena (Love in a Mist)

The arum will be back unless you dug the corm up. 

The Nigella is an annual and may or may not come to seed this late in the year, but let it have the chance, leave it there.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Thank you Treehugger and Nutcutlet for the quick responses! I wouldn't have figured out those plants by myself.

I might buy some Arum seeds to make sure I have more of them coming. Don't thing the plant survived

Definitely giving Nigella a chance to seed - it's such a pretty flower. And here in sunny Surrey no frost is expected for now, so I'd say it should be alright.

Thanks again! image

Surrey
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,007

Where there is one arum, there will be more and even with the leaf cut, the corms will survive and re-grow foliage.  I know because I'm trying to eliminate them from a bed by pulling up leaves as I can't dig deeply and the perishers are not giving up easily.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thanks Obelixx, I might just wait and see if it comes back by itself, no new seeds then. I wouldn't want them to take over my little shady spot as I have just planted two Epimediums there and wouldn't want them to be overpowered. Epimedium pinnatum colchicum and Epimedium alpinum - don't think they would put up a fight image

Surrey
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Posts: 4,208

I concur with Obelixx. If you want your epimediums to develop, do try to get rid of that invasive arum! Its roots are quite deep and hard to get at, be prepared for a tough fight.image

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • I really can't stand bullies, both in real life and in the garden. So will definitely make sure they don't spread.

I have just finished a major battle with the lily of the valley (there was a tearful thread about it a few weeks ago here) - so I'm very careful of what I let into my garden.

Plus I love Epimediums, so will make sure they are comfortable. Might open a thread about them once there is something to brag about image

Surrey