Forum home Plants

Lilies

I have a bucket full of Lilly bulbs and don’t know what to do with them over winter, any ideas?

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,966

Plant them, or they will dry out.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,146

punkdoc is right ; they do dry out quickly and then fall to pieces .

If mine I would plant singly in deep pots , or in a deep prepared soil bed (fairly free draining) , and then see what appears next year ; they can then be planted in the garden accordingly .

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,021

I grow all mine in pots groups of 3, 5 7 or more in large ceramic pots so they get the drainage they need - last garden quite damp - and also I can take them in for the winter out of the worst frosts.  I then bring them out to display in a prominent position for their flowering period and can tuck them away somewhere quiet before and after but of easy access for watering and feeding and checking for lily beetles.

Growing them in pots also give extra height which helps stop our cats form getting the pollen on their fur.  It can be fatal to them.

If I need to divide them, I do it in early spring before growth starts and re-plant straight away so they don't dry out.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw