Forum home Fruit & veg

Mature blueberry bushes

i have two mature (8 years old) blueberry bushes that have been kept in pots. I have moved to a house with soil showing a ph of 5.5 and I believe it is the right sort of soil to plant them out in my fruit cage.

My question is can I divide the bushes to make four? I know I can take hardwood cuttings but wanted to check on dividing them first 

thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,437

Can you post a photo of them please?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I will do so but next weekend when I am home next.

• imageimageimage

Here are some quick photos I have taken this morning

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,156

This is where opinions can be divided, literally. I think you may be able to try splitting into two but four is far too ambitious. If you did go for splitting into four, you will more likely end up having to prune the tops off your shrub to accomadate for the lack of roots to support such a weight.

Consider this, you are planting it into the ground which will probably be more colder and harsher. If your shrubs are just thin strips, they will find it harder to settle and grow.

• I am going to hedge (sorry could not help myself) my bets and split one of the bushes in two and leave to other as it is.

Last edited: 18 November 2017 08:25:28