Forum home Problem solving

Cactus is turning black help!

Hi! My beautiful cactus has a black tip. I had it for years and I never had a problem. my only thought is it just got really cold here in New YorK. Temperature change?Maybe not enough light or too little watering? But it has been at the same spot for a couple years now and always been ok. 

How do I fix it? Thank you

image   image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,269

Too little water is not going to be a problem for cacti.

Too little light is often a problem for cacti.

Too much water is always a problem, particularly if the temperatures are low.

Simple care for cacti is don't water in the winter .........at all.

In the summer give it a good soaking and then leave to drain.   Repeat just once or twice in the summer.

If indoors give it as much light as you without allowing it to burn in scorching sunlight.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Ok! but before I wrote on this thread I watered my cactus because I thought it was cause of little water. I haven't watered it in over a month so I thought it was that reason. Eek! But with daylight savings it def has less light too. 

So how do I dry it out? Do I cut off the black part? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,269

I would cut off the tip with a sharp blade, cutting down far enough to ensure there's no rot.  The cut will seal itself over.

Just let the compost dry out and don't water again until late spring.  

Fingers crossed image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you so much! lets see how it all goes !!! 

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,000

Your cactus (looks like Cereus validus ; an extremely variable species) is showing typical etiolated (weakened) growth due to poor light -levels and probable overwatering in such a situation .

REMEDY :- Cut off both stems to around 1" below where the blackening starts and leave to dry (both roots and cut) for several months (Yes months) or until Spring returns , and leave in a bright moderately warm place .

In the Spring/Summer , give as much light is is theoretically possible ; (I assume it's windowsill grown , not the ideal place) ; nevertheless commence watering judisciously in such circumstances , and hopefully it will survive .

• Good evening, I need some help with my cactus... I bought it maybe 6 months ago and it's been doing okay. It originally had two small growths on it but they've both gone completely black and empty and dropped off dead.  This happened at a relatively coconsta rate, one went about 3 months in and the other about 2 weeks ago.  I will include a picture of the two parts that are left, they're the bigger ones. Both of them are starting to turn black at the tops and I don't know what's wrong, I recently moved them from my shelf to my south facing windowsill about 3 days ago and they turned black on the side that faced the window. Can you help tell me what's going on?
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,143
    The growths that dropped off were probably flower buds that didn’t materialise. It’s probalbly burnt from the sun through glass, they like heat but not burning. 
    What is that brown strawlike stuff, is that growing? 
    Always water from the bottom, don’t pour water on the top, that may have caused the blackness on the top.  Put gravel on top of the pot. Apart from that, they don’t look bad. They thrive on neglect, sometimes I forget to water them for months, then they’ll throw up these beautiful flowers.
    heres a pic of one of mine, the shrivelled looking bud right on the top is a flower bud, 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hi!

I just discovered my cactus turning black! I touched it and it broke what can I do!!!
  • jessicamenelonjessicamenelon Posts: 2
    edited January 2019
    Hi!

I just discovered my cactus turning black! I touched it and it broke what can I do!!!

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,448
    Since the rot is at the bottom I would cut the whole of the top off and discard the compost and rooted bit left in the pot.Make sure you cut off well above any rot.Remove anything that shows any sign of blackening.From what I can see of the top growth it looks OK with some nice side shoots.You can take these off and leave to callous over,weeks rather than days!
    Pot up in a nice gritty compost in a clean pot,don't water until you know it has rooted.
    Good luck!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings