Forum home Plants

Daffodils

Hello I would like to know if I put a weed fabric down covering where some daffodils are would they grow up through it as I am putting gravel down .

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,844

In a word - no.

If you have clumps (or even one or two bulbs) you'd need to cut a hole for them to come through successfully. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • I don't wont them to come through as I just want gravel 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,844

Well - just don't cut any holes! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Okie dokie 

• You may be surprised. I turned an area of my garden into gravel, putting a weed fabric down and theN in the spring start to see the gravel lifting and low and behold the iris were pushing themselves through, some did pierce the fabric. Perhaps daffodils aren't as strong but just be aware.

• I Will the reason I asked was I remember building a greenhouse over some daffodils and one did pop up outside of greenhouse just squeezed between concrete and fence , shows you how strong nature is .

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

That seems such a shame, can’t you dig them up and replant. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• If I had more time I would but I have been having trouble with my lawn getting waterlogged so have decided to just gravel and leave my raised borders in I will miss the grass but have a lawn in the back and I look after of my own choice a grass verge outside my front fence , but hopefully I will use the gravel are for more tubs .