Forum home Plants

Good indoor starter plants?

Moving into a new place soon, was hoping for some suggestions for easy to grow house plants?  I do occasionally go away for over a week, so they'd need to be able to surive without watering.  Plus, I'm at college so I don't have a ton of money and they'd need to be able to travel for if/when I move.

Suggestions?

- Tom Leventhall

• Any type of cactus or even a moth orchid as both don't want much watering and thrive on neglect.?

• Spiderplants (Chlorophytum comosum) are pretty tolerant and easy going as is Mother in Law's Tongue (Sanseveria 

They both require quite different conditions and treatment, so look them up ... study the conditions you can provide for them (light/temperature etc) and make your choice. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Air plants (Tillandsia) don't need more than the occasional misting, don't even need anything like compost as they don't have roots, can be grown on bits of bark or driftwood or in an open glass container and look quite cool. Very hard to neglect them to deathimage