Forum home Wildlife gardening

Robin redbreast

Two weekends in a row I've bumped into a robin at the end of my garden, once as if to ask why I was hacking down the ivy, then again today nosing around my leaf pile.

Do they stay through the winter?

And is there anything I can put out for him?

cheers,

TP

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,247

YES, THEY STAY THROUGH THE WINTER.

YOUR ROBIN WAS LOOKING FOR GRUBS AND BEETLES AND WORMS THAT YOU MIGHT HAVE DISLODGED.

THEY LIKE TO EAT ANYTHING ALONG THOSE LINES. ALSO CHEESE.

THEY CAN BECOME VERY TAME IF THEY SENSE THAT THEY ARE SAFE. WE USED TO HAVE ONE COME INTO THE HOUSE AND BEG FOR BITS OF CHEESE.image

Last edited: 05 November 2017 19:55:16

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,433

A hanging feeder with a good quality seed mix will help, and one with sunflower hearts. They do prefer to ground feed, so you can put a little bit out each day in a convenient spot, but they'll adapt to a hanging feeder too. Some of the fat balls or blocks broken up are also good, and it'll attract other small birds too. If you can put out a dish of water for drinking and bathing, that's always good. Something shallow - a seed tray or similar is perfect, especially if you put a couple of small rocks and gravel at one end. That allows access, and provides a shallow area for  insects to drink as well  image

Cheese is great too as pansyface says. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I have a robin who presenty follows me around the garden when I am doing diggng or hoeing. He has become so timid that when I have a rest he sits no more that a couple of feet from me. I always leave   a bit of cheese and leave it on a garden table at the top of my garden. He's never greedy just take a bit and come back when he's ready. I also have a very tame thrush that is never more that a foot from me when I'm doing any digging. I even have to stop digging so that he can look for worms etc. Isn't nature an amasing thing when humans and animals trust each other to enjoy gardening 

• Tin potTin pot Posts: 1,085

Oh right then - is cheddar ok?

CHEDDAR IS FINE.image

• The Robin was probably wanting to know why you were hacking down the Ivy?  Ivy is one of the best plants for our wild birds, so much to offer them.

Cottage Compost says:

The Robin was probably wanting to know why you were hacking down the Ivy?  Ivy is one of the best plants for our wild birds, so much to offer them.

See original post
    Yes, you're probably right but there is still a whole tree and fence full of it, so I think he'll survive.
    I will start offering cheese and after as recompense for the insult though.

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,278

Yes generally Robins are very tame they have learned that we can help them find food or as others have said even provide it. Most of us have a "tame" robin that follow us closely but it's all cupboard love. I heard on the radio a while back from a wildlife expert that the Robin that follows you now will probably not be the same one that followed you in spring. Apparently there are several reasons for this: some of our summer ones migrate to warmer areas and are replaced by others from more Northerly areas even Scandinavia but more than this they are very territorial and aggressive against each other, they can lead quite a short brutal life! Not the cosy Christmas card image we have at all.

My father had a hen blackbird that learned the sound of his allotment cultivator, as soon as he started the engine she was down and would follow so close behind as he turned the soil, again sometimes he had to stop when she got too close to the rotating tines!   

AB Still learning

I ONCE HAD A "PET" FEMALE BLACKBIRD.

COME THE SPRINGTIME, SHE WOULD BE AT MY FEET IN AN ATTEMPT TO FEND OFF THE AMOROUS MALES. ONE MALE ACTUALLY FLEW DOWN AND TRIED TO PIN HER AGAINST MY FORK BUT I PULLED IT OUT OF THE GROUND AND SHE ESCAPED IN THE NICK OF TIME.image

pansyface says:

CHEDDAR IS FINE.image

See original post

Cheddar was a hit! :)

I got my boy out in his pyjamas  to put some cheddar out.  Spotted him an hour later, and we watched him singing - his little chest fluttering.

Then about an hour later I spotted him watching me, I moved the cheese closer, then a while later he swoops down, grabs a chunk and disappears into the tree.