Forum home Plants

Exoctic Palm (looking) Tree Problem

Torg22Torg22 Posts: 302

Hi. We have a tree in our front garden (it's our landlords) and it had recently been looking very sorry for itself. Its giving off the impression it's had enough and wants to die. Firstly what is the name of this tree and is there anyway I can help it?  Any ideas why it might be sad? image 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,874

It's Cordyline Australis  and it is V peaky.

Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,872

I  think you're right Torg - it does look like it wants to die....image

Does that paving surround it's trunk by any chance?

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Torg22Torg22 Posts: 302

Oh dear. Its on the front lawn but it does get ever so dry and the strong winds recently probably havant helped. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,874

It's obviously flowered very well this year: that'll take a lot of energy out of it. Give it time and it'll probably recover.

Devon.
  • Torg22Torg22 Posts: 302

Yes earlier in the year it was fine but over the last few months it's gone downhill. Will see how it gets on! 

• Yes, I wouldn't write it off yet - there look to be some new green shoots coming through and the limp brown hanging down bits are mostly the finished flowers.  Almost every garden has one or two of these trees growing in them.  We don't because we don't like the strong smell of the flowers.  When we had a very hard winter quite a few years ago, all the Cordylines died but new shoots came up from the dead parent plants, which may happen here if this large tree does actually die.

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,146

If you trim the branches back to tidy it up , it will readily regenerate . (Wait 'til Spring though) .