Forum home The potting shed

Reasons to be cheerful

• Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003
    Bright blue sky today........always cheers me up
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,179
    @punkdoc You must have a more generous GP than mine!
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,443
    Most GPs will not prescribe antimalarials on NHS. (They are not supposed to ) Doxycycline is used for other purposes as an antibiotic, so it can be slipped through, as it were, but I would prefer to pay for Malarone generic, than have free doxycycline  because of the side effects. I burn bad enough in sunlight as it is without sensitising my skin further.  I figure if you can afford the holiday, and can afford the sun tan lotion, new clothes, etc, then you can afford essential medication.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,684
    Too right.

We have huge row of clumps of deciduous Provençal cane which is about 5m tall.  really dislike it and OK has to cut it down every spring just as new growth starts or t looks unbelievable tatty.   My reason to be cheerful?   OK now agrees that when we get bulldozer man in to deal with surprise roof tile dump he can dig out all the cane too.

Yes!!!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 10,148
    edited September 2018
    You are right fidget, but I have to take doxycycline for other reasons. It is also recommended as first choice in certain areas of Africa and is useful against Dengue.

SORRY posted in wrong thread.
    Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    punkdoc said:
    This will make you feel curmudgeonly, I get my anti malarials for free by going to GP.

Love the Goldinches @Fairygirl. We have a few, but they never visit the feeders, which I don't understand.
    IME, goldfinches are contrary little b#####.  When I started feeding birds, i bought nyjer seed and a special feeder to put it in, because everyone said that's what you do for goldfinches.  They came, but only to the mixed seed feeder, and never went near the nyjer.  This year i have a great crop of teasels which I grew specially for the goldfinches, and I've yet to see a single one of them on a teasel.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,755
    The goldfinches around here just love sunflower hearts and ignore the nyger seed.  My brother has scores of them on his sunflower heart feeders on the farm  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,940
    @punkdoc You must have a more generous GP than mine!
    and mine . They charge £20 just for the prescription, then you still have to pay the " over the counter " price on top of that.
    Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,177
    Same here with Gold finches, won’t touch niger seeds and they grow all over the place because the birds flick them out of the feeders.  I mixed the niger with the mixed seed but they only eat the sunflower hearts. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Pat EPat E Posts: 10,485
    The birds around here eat anything I put out, including any leftovers from our meals. The Choughs arrive en masse and clean up anything they can find. All the wildlife are struggling to find feed. The kangaroos and wallabies are even standing to watch us moving around the place but not hopping away as they usually do. Would love some rain.
    S. E. NSW