Rubber Tree Corner

I am desperate for help and ideas! I live in Spain near the Costa Blanca and having struggled in the U.K. for many years to maintain more than two leaves on any rubber plant, I now have a HUGE rubber tree in my garden! However, the roots are now lifting all the tiling but I don’t really want to lose the tree! Also we inherited this strange corner of the garden which is all different levels and we would like to do something with it as it is the main view from the terrace on the back of the house. We don’t have a big budget. Any ideas would be so welcomeimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,133

I don't understand ... how's that poor tree supposed to get any water to its roots at all? image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,726

Obviously the tree is of value to you ; why not lift some of the tiles around it and completely restructure that part of your garden . Incorporating new soil  topped with a gravel bed in a complementary colour would give you peace of mind , and be very beneficial to the tree . Maybe even plant something around it ?

Rubber trees can stand dry conditions , but 99% of your rainfall must be wasted due to 'run-off' .

• Yes that’s a good idea. I did think about something similar but didn’t think about topping off with gravel. The tree drops loads of leaves and they need to be picked up on a very regular basis, so a flowerbed would need to be walked over daily, but gravel would solve that. Might need to resite the ceramic table and benches elsewhere as the pool is to the right of them so not much room there. Thanks for the idea though