Forum home Plants

Sweet Peas

Good morning all, I moved into a house earlier this year that has a little garden which is an absolute first for me.

I was sent a few packets of seeds (some successful and some not) including sweet peas which I planted up and were reasonably successful considering I was pretty much winging it and I enjoyed them so much that I am going to try grow them with a bit more precision.  I am just about ready to start sowing this year and I was looking for any hints or tips that you guys may have.

I have looked through some old threads but it looks like some of the comments are missing and I cant seem to find an Autumn 2017 sweet pea thread but if there is one it would be great if you could point me in its direction.

Thanks

Jacq x

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks very much SusanCain and scorggin.  I think I will sow half now and half in spring to try and get flowers for the whole season, I still had some going at the start of October this year.  I will be storing them over winter in a small plastic greenhouse just to keep the chill of them and I will make sure I put a few mouse traps in the bottom.

Looking forward to checking out those web sites.  I have some Prince of Orange, Heaven Scent and Royal Family.  Do you have any go to favorites?  I just picked pretty colours that I fancied.

• Mary370Mary370 Posts: 2,003

Hi NewgardenJack I too love sweet peas.   I'm going to plant some seeds now as I want to try to get earlier flowers.   It's a first for me too. .....planting this time of the year.  It is the strong scented ones I love.  

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,842

It's a shame about the main old sweet pea thread. The expert who gave lots of advice left the forum and all his posts were deleted.

Good luck with your sweet peas.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,860

I sow in spring, and mainly direct, but if you have warmer conditions than I do, sowing now (as scroggin describes) is a good way of getting earlier flowers. Mice can be a pest so it's always worth doing a couple of batches and then some in late winter/early spring if you can. Sow some direct as well to give a succession. image

It's rough, cold wet, windy weather that's bad news for them rather than dry cold, so the protection helps to keep them steady over winter until they start growing away properly. Don't over heat them though, as that can make them a bit leggy, and you'll have to keep pinching out more than you would if they're allowed to germinate and grow more naturally. 

NGJac - picking ones that you like is the right thing to do. No point growing something you don't enjoy image

You might find some will grow and thrive better than others, but it's a learning curve and a very enjoyable one. I've found that the whites can be a bit less floriferous, but I also find that they do better with more shade than some of the others. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • SuesynSuesyn Posts: 662

I was very late planting mine this year, because we were away until end of April but as a bonus I am still picking them now, about a dozen stems every 4/5 days. I have sown for next summer already but will also do some more in Feb. and April so will hopefully have  flowers  all summer.

• If you've not already found the 'How to' part of this website, you might want to have a look here

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-grow-sweet-peas-part-one/ 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.